RX100 for stock footage

I know the Sony RX100 is much loved by a good number of Alamy contributors. I wonder if any have used its video capability to contribute stock footage clips here or elsewhere? I'm particularly interested in its 4K video resolution facility which is available from the Mk 3 onwards.

I am also curious to know how well the built in ND filter performs. The bane of my life using my Canon DSLR to shoot video is that I frequently have to use external ND filters to get the shutter speed down to 1/50 when shooting in daylight, unless it is cloudy. Does the RX100 built-in ND filter make shooting video with a 1/50 shutter speed possible in sunlight? Any other comments on the value of the RX100 to the budget-conscious stock videographer would also be welcome.

You should have the RX100-4  to get the 4k - the version 3 is only HD.

And yes, I have sold several from the RX100-3 on one of our mutual video sites. Though, I still prefer my Canon Legria HF G30 camera - the size of the camera and the possibility to lock the focus on an object and get a proper sound on a mounted microphone.

I prefer the HDAVC format instead of the dSLR format. Files will be smaller - and sometimes even possible to upload the raw mts files directly from camera.

I shoot 50 frames with both cameras. which I also upload. With movement in the video the shutter speed should be doubled, 1/100. 

I have not noticed enough about the ND filter to comment on this.

E-mail me if you want more details. Address should be possible to find.

Niels

Archived