RM editorial o RF editorial

Good morning guys...

sorry if I resume a topic that knows how many times it has been reshuffled but I doubt and I can not solve it; I do not want this thing to damage my portfolio.
My doubt is this:

if the image contains personene, loghi ... must clearly tick the EDITORIAL box (I have no liberations ...). When it is editorial it can be RM or it must be RF. I can not frame the problem well !!!

Thanks to everyone and a kiss to those who want to help me understand
(usually I'm not obtuse, in this case they are really crock !!!!):rolleyes:

lorenza

Some of us, including me, still prefer to sell as RM. You should tick the correct value / number of persons and property in the image. If there is any and you don't have the releases you tick the appropriate boxes, so the buyer will know how the image can be used. If you feel the image is sensitive in any way you may also include the Editorial tick to feel safe that the buyer will not use the image in an incorrect way. This has been a rule many of us has followed earlier. (I still do).

If you sell as RF - everything with people or property in the image, should be RF Editorial. Remember that tiny people and parts of people count in both cases and that a lot of stuff is property on Alamy that microstock f.inst. doesn't care about. Most flags f.inst.

You will have to decide for yourself whether you prefer the RM or RF licence type - or search the forum for endless discussions of this. I hope a new one will not start here.

Niels

Just remember, if your image is RF Editorial, it will not show up on a default Alamy search. The user has to manually click the little show editorial RF box at the top of the page for the images to show. That could, and most probably, will hurt sales. RM Editorial images will always show up on a default search, unless the user (buyer) manually unchecks the RM box.

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

Just remember, if your image is RF Editorial, it will not show up on a default Alamy search. The user has to manually click the little show editorial RF box at the top of the page for the images to show. That could, and most probably, will hurt sales. RM Editorial images will always show up on a default search, unless the user (buyer) manually unchecks the RM box.

Thanks Martin, now I have framed the system a bit. The only thing that is not clear to me is that if I enter RM are automatically covered for editorial images? (I can not insert editorial Rm); also I can put RM images that are for sale through other sales channels ??? (***) ...

45 minutes ago, lorenza said:

The only thing that is not clear to me is that if I enter RM are automatically covered for editorial images? (I can not insert editorial Rm); also I can put RM images that are for sale through other sales channels ??? (***) ...

No, RM does not automatically make an image editorial. When you are filling out your tags and other info, there is a tab at the top of the box the says "optional". Click it, and look down. You will see a box that says "sell for editorial only". Check that box if you do not have a release for the people or property in your images. 

If it is RM Rights Managed, you should probably only be selling it through one stock agency. You can use the image yourself, or sell it to a local newspaper or magazine, but I would not be uploading an RM image up to another stock site. Some people probably do, but I prefer a complication free life.

34 minutes ago, Martin B said:

No, RM does not automatically make an image editorial. When you are filling out your tags and other info, there is a tab at the top of the box the says "optional". Click it, and look down. You will see a box that says "sell for editorial only". Click that box if you do not have a release for the people or property in your images. 

If it is RM Rights Managed, you should probably only be selling it through one stock agency. You can use the image yourself, or sell it to a local newspaper or magazine, but I would not be uploading an RM image up to another stock site. Some people probably do, but I prefer complication free life.

I wanted to say, Martin,  that if I sell my images on other non-exclusive stock agencies, should I use only RF always also for alamy?

18 minutes ago, lorenza said:

I wanted to say, Martin,  that if I sell my images on other non-exclusive stock agencies, should I use only RF always also for alamy?

Yes, if you are selling on other stock sites, the images should all be licensed as Royalty Free on Alamy as well. Just be aware of what stock sites you sell on. Images or very similar images to ones you have on a site like Alamy should never be on a site like Shutterstock, or other penny stock sites. Why would someone buy an image from you on Alamy's site for $199, when they can get the same your exact image from Shutterstock for 45 cents? 

There is no problem selling RM images on other agencies. We have only recently had the option to click an "editorial only" box. The only thing to remember is that an RM image must be RM everywhere and the same with a RF image. Alamy is non-exclusive. Of course, if you check the box for "Only available on Alamy" you must not be selling it elsewhere.

Paulette

Archived