How Do Fine Art Sales Affect Licensing?

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone here who sells on "Fine Art" sites runs into any type of conflicts on Alamy as far as licensing is concerned.  Would an image sold on both Alamy and any Fine Art site have to be a royalty free image on Alamy?  Or rights managed?  Or does it even matter? 

P.S. I don't know what to call these "Fine Art" sites, I'm sure there's some blanket description for them, like stock, libraries, etc... but I think everyone knows what I mean - thanks everyone.

15 minutes ago, losdemas said:

POD - print on demand sites. Totally independent of licensing, regardless of licensing model. 

The "Fine Art" site (originating in USA) isn't only POD. Contributors have the option to offer licences for their Images on there too.

Mark

16 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

The "Fine Art" site (originating in USA) isn't only POD. Contributors have the option to offer licences for their Images on there too.

Mark

Ah, the blanket description misled me. I presumed that the OP was referring to printing images only. I opted out of that particular sites option to license my images. 

Hi Mark,

I just re-read your reply.  When you say " Contributors have the option to offer licences for their Images on there too. " does that mean that the licensing has to be same as licensed imaged on Alamy?  In other words, does an RF/RM image on a POD have to have the same RF/RM license on Alamy?  If an image is RM on Alamy then that image has certain restrictions on how it's used, correct?  So another POD, Fine Art,... site cannot just crank out the same image on coffee mugs, shower curtains, throw pillows, etc... in an unlimited manner.  Do I have that right?  I hate to seem like I'm beating this into the ground but I don't want to run into any conflicts down the road - Thanks for all your help.

Most stock sites permit you to sell your work as fine art. It should not be a conflict unless one of your RM images is licensed for some exclusive use which would not permit it and in that case Alamy would contact you first for the exclusive licensee, even then it would most likely not conflict with selling fine art including POD mugs, etc. 

However, if you license your work through any other site including a POD site, all RM images much be RM and RF must be RF - the prices can vary unless you are with a site that sets a minimum, I'm just discussing Alamy here and they let you license your images at any price point. 

I have tried to keep my best selling fine art work as RM here - and some of it I don't license at all - I've been in a fair number of gallery shows and sell my work that way, but  I also sell a fair number of my travel and landscapes as fine art on POD site, so those are mostly RM here and I tick the box "Don't sell for personal use including single copy, non-retail wall art prints"  so they aren't sold for less through Alamy's fine art offering -

Images that were RF before Alamy added their personal use/fine art offering are still RF as are some I have on traditionally-priced RF sites since the license has to be the same. I have the occasional personal use sale of those RF images here but I hope those who are searching fine art sites aren't looking here. If you are going to license images as stock, there will always be that risk, but the bottom line is that you are allowed to sell here and on POD sites and they can be wither RM or RF here - it's your choice. 

9 hours ago, Wawa said:

Hi Mark,

I just re-read your reply.  When you say " Contributors have the option to offer licences for their Images on there too. " does that mean that the licensing has to be same as licensed imaged on Alamy?  In other words, does an RF/RM image on a POD have to have the same RF/RM license on Alamy?  If an image is RM on Alamy then that image has certain restrictions on how it's used, correct?  So another POD, Fine Art,... site cannot just crank out the same image on coffee mugs, shower curtains, throw pillows, etc... in an unlimited manner.  Do I have that right?  I hate to seem like I'm beating this into the ground but I don't want to run into any conflicts down the road - Thanks for all your help.

Alamy's Contributor Terms and Conditions state the following. See clause 2.2 here.

You cannot submit identical or similar Images to Alamy as both Royalty Free and Rights Managed. The licence type on Alamy for an Image must be the same as the licence type for that Image and similar Images which you have on other agency websites

Mark

Archived