what is the definition of 1/4 page?

Hi guys,

One of my images was used recently by the telegraph in its travel section and was also used online. The image used in the travel section was spread across the whole front cover giving approx an A3 size. This has now been reported as follows

Rights Managed Country: United Kingdom
Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 750,000
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 June 2013
End: 02 June 2013
One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within print and /or web versions, with re-use of the article in other titles or web versions within the same newspaper group. Digital use includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

Surely this should be a full page and worth a lot more than the pathetic $22 gross ($11 to me) that was charged? The date of publication is wrong also as it was published on 29th June!

What constitutes a full page if this does not?

Are you in the newspaper scheme? It looks that way to me.

The size quoted is rarely correct and the publication dates are ALWAYS wrong with newspapers - that refers to when someone did something to do with reporting the sale, not when it was published. 

I have recently joined the newspaper scheme. The following day I found one of my images in the Observer. It has just been reported, with two others, and they each got about the same amount as you did, though they were less than 1/4 page.

I had one published in a paper just before I joined the scheme - that grossed about 3 1/2 times as much, though I am certainly getting more published since I joined.

Yes Phil, I am in the scheme, the returns are now so much lower than previous sales to newspapers, that I am considering leaving it.  Newspapers seem very reluctant to report sales on time if at all, and it looks a really bad deal unless you already have huge numbers of images already uploaded.

I think you find that in the newspaper scheme the size of repro does not reflect in the size of the sale. Everyone who has a photo used gets an equal share of the newspapers monthly subscription to alamy whatever the size so whatever is reported is irrelevant

Kevin

Archived