Influential Stock Photographers

Wawa

Hello Fellow Stockers,

When photographers talk about their influences they often mention the Greats, the Masters such as Irving Penn, Ansel Adams, Paul Strand, (I'm sure there are more contemporary names among the greats but I can't think of any at the moment) etc...  These are names that are not known as shooting for stock agencies.  Stock is often looked down upon as far as creativity is concerned.  There is a lot of crap to be found but there is also a lot of original creativity.  So I was wondering who were some of the people that influenced you guys & gals here at Alamy as far as stock photographers go.  I was and still am a big fan of Jay Maisel and Art Wolfe.  What about you guys?

You can't go wrong with those two. They are also good teachers and I have done a seminar with each of them. A couple of the wildlife photographers on Alamy are favorites of mine-- Frans Lanting and Martin Harvey. Paul Nicklen has opened a gallery in Soho and his work is amazing. I could think of a half dozen more that are wonderful. Nick Brandt does beautiful work in black and white. I'd better stop now. Too many.

Paulett

Of course, I follow Arterra Picture Library in terms of how to do stock in the wildlife field. A collection of wonderful photographers led by a smart and knowledgable man who I have learned a lot from--in terms of the business as well as artistic excellence. That is probably the best answer to the question asked.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Of course, I follow Arterra Picture Library in terms of how to do stock in the wildlife field. A collection of wonderful photographers led by a smart and knowledgable man who I have learned a lot from--in terms of the business as well as artistic excellence. That is probably the best answer to the question asked.

Paulette

I can't forget a photograph of him on the trail of wild boar in the Ardennes, probably, in his campervan in his socks with a glass of claret. Yes, come back Philippe, nothing needs forgiving.

Still on FB.

Archived