Portfolio review please

Graham Hardy

I'm nervously putting my portfolio up for critique. I've been a member since 2014, and have managed to upload around 6500 images. I'm going back through them and culling similar images and trying to make my tags more relevant to the image.  When I first started I made great efforts to keyword then tag as comprehensivly as possible, but I now realise that this has just led to me getting a lot of inappropriate views, but few zooms. I've made 59 sales in these 3 years.  As I have added more images my CTR has fallen, and languishes around .31. In the year to October I've had 172 zooms from 56000 views with 38 sales.   What do you experts think?If my tagging gets more targeted are my photos up to scratch?  Or should I leave Alamy and instead of spending hours keywording just go and develop my work in other areas.  

Thanks for your time and comments. 

G

Hi Graham.

I think once you remove all your similars (you do have a lot) your port will get itself down to maybe 4500 images.  Also, I came across a series of news images of a protest and you have a lot of them.  Once the images have left live news and gone into stock, you should cull out most of them and just leave a couple.

Your CTR will improve when the similars are gone.  I think that is your biggest issue.

Jill

Graham, you have a good eye and a good sense of stock subjects. And you're PP looks fine. But why all those pointless similars? And where are the verticals? And I see images with no captions. 

Good luck. 

Edo

5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Hi Graham.

I think once you remove all your similars (you do have a lot) your port will get itself down to maybe 4500 images.  Also, I came across a series of news images of a protest and you have a lot of them.  Once the images have left live news and gone into stock, you should cull out most of them and just leave a couple.

Your CTR will improve when the similars are gone.  I think that is your biggest issue.

Jill

Cheers Jill, I think I started uploading similars because early on I looked at some of the big portfolios of people who had been with Alamy for a long time and they had a lot of live news photos that had many similars, so I followed suit. I thought that maybe it was better not to second guess a buyers eye and just present them with everything and let them make their own choice.  I think these photographers were with alamy from early on though and established their ctr when the total number of images wasn't in the tens of millions,  and it continues to work in their favour. (No criticism intended, I'm just trying to make sense of how alamy works).  

I have always wondered what to do with old news images. 3 of my sales have been if a Jeremy Corbyn rally in Bradford from two years ago, sold long after the event. I'll crack on with my cull. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Graham, you have a good eye and a good sense of stock subjects. And you're PP looks fine. But why all those pointless similars? And where are the verticals? And I see images with no captions. 

Good luck. 

Edo

Cheers Ed

"Pointless similars" 🙂  I guess I find it so hard to decide.  Im going back over them all and determined to be more ruthless.  

I thought I was offering a range of verticals and landscapes a lot of the time, but I'll have another look and reassess. 

Archived