Portfolio critique

Ambrosiniv

Hi

I'm new to Alamy and haven't made any sales yet, I've only recently started uploading. I believe I understand what I would need to do to increase my chances of getting sales through here, but I wonder if you guys could have a look at my current portfolio to see if I'm going in the right direction in terms of tagging, captioning, etc?

So far the part I struggle with the most when uploading is choosing the relevant categories, as they're very limited in numbers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

Looking at your horse jumping pics, I doubt that is a horse race, but the cross country competition part of a three day event.  In eventing, horse and rider compete in dressage on day one, cross country on day two and stadium jumping on day three.

Jill

Ok cool.

1. Black and white: Although I recently had a nice b&w sale I'll safely say that it's best to keep images in colour as much as possible (unless light is absolutely terrible). The reason is quite simple: it's about flexibility for the buyer. If a client wants to go bw it's very easy but if a client wants colour, not so easy and he/she won't license your bw image. 

2. Tulips: I was also at the tulip fields in the past spring. Too bad it was cloudy and your tulip pics don't show up well. In any case, they look snapshoty. I managed this shot which I'm quite proud of (even if it's never sold...flowers are an overdone subject). I had a bit better luck with the weather. There appears not to have been much effort to be unique. 

Beautiful orange tulips against a blue sky in the Netherlands Stock Photo

3. Airplane pics look great. 

4. Horses: I think it would be a good idea to find out which type of horse breed it is and include it in the captions/tags.

Overall, I like your artistic style. You just need a lot more images and to be patient at this game. 

Good luck

Alex

19 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Looking at your horse jumping pics, I doubt that is a horse race, but the cross country competition part of a three day event.  In eventing, horse and rider compete in dressage on day one, cross country on day two and stadium jumping on day three.

Jill

Thanks Jill, that's quite helpful.

11 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Ok cool.

1. Black and white: Although I recently had a nice b&w sale but I'll safely say that it's best to keep images in colour as much as possible (unless light is absolutely terrible). The reason is quite simple: it's about flexibility for the buyer. If a client wants to go bw it's very easy but if a client wants colour, not so easy and he/she won't license your bw image. 

2. Tulips: I was also at the tulip fields in the past spring. Too bad it was cloudy and your tulip pics don't show. In any case, they look snapshoty. I managed this shot which I'm quite proud of (even if it's never sold...flowers are an overdone subject). I had a bit better luck with the weather. There appears not to have been much effort to be unique. 

Beautiful orange tulips against a blue sky in the Netherlands Stock Photo

3. Airplane pics look great. 

4. Horses: I think it would be a good idea to find out which type of horse breed it is and include it in the captions/tags.

Overall, I like your artistic style. You just need a lot more images and to be patient at this game. 

Good luck

Alex

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. I'll search for the horse breed. Good tip about black and white.

Archived