Fred Herzog's street photography

1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

Important work John.

Notice most of it seems to be shot with a normal lens.

Yes, Bill, I did notice that. Walking around with just a normal lens can be valuable yoga.

It is indeed important work. When I first visited Vancouver in 1968 (hitchhiked from Montreal with a friend), the city I discovered still looked much like the one documented by Herzog. That Vancouver is all but gone, replaced by a soulless (some would say) metropolis of glass and steel, although there are still pockets of authenticity left.

Fred Herzog is well over 80 now, and I believe that he is still working. There was a wonderful retrospective of his work at the Vancouver Art Gallery a few years back. I was lucky enough to catch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the article John. I've seen Herzog's work at the Art Gallery.  Wonderful images - he really draws you into another time period.  And yes, how Vancouver has changed!

Maria

9 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Thanks for posting the article John. I've seen Herzog's work at the Art Gallery.  Wonderful images - he really draws you into another time period.  And yes, how Vancouver has changed!

Maria

Yes, I wonder if any city in Canada or perhaps even North America has changed as much as Vancouver has in the last few decades. Vancouver, especially downtown, is barely recognizable to me now.

Archived