When I did a Google search for one of my photos, it turned up a website

www.photovide.com

in which the photo was credited to me but not to Alamy.

My photo had been bought by The Guardian appearing in its weekly wildlife section almost two moths ago, and was taken from that. I emailed the website to enquire about it, and got a fairly rapid response saying that it had been removed, which it has.

i am posting this because there were other Alamy photos in The Guardian piece so there may be others and I imagine the website contains yet other Alamy photos, in case anyone else is concerned about this.

22 minutes ago, Sally said:

When I did a Google search for one of my photos, it turned up a website

www.photovide.com

in which the photo was credited to me but not to Alamy.

My photo had been bought by The Guardian appearing in its weekly wildlife section almost two moths ago, and was taken from that. I emailed the website to enquire about it, and got a fairly rapid response saying that it had been removed, which it has.

i am posting this because there were other Alamy photos in The Guardian piece so there may be others and I imagine the website contains yet other Alamy photos, in case anyone else is concerned about this.

Unfortunately this happens a lot. Images posted in the online versions of the newspapers can get copied all over the place. If it's a commercial website (rather than a simple blogging or news scraper site), then you might want to contact Alamy before contacting the website owners, so Alamy can confirm if there's been another sale. If not Alamy might pursue an infringement claim for you. If they won't pursue, then Pixsy might, or you could try handling it yourself. Try sending them an invoice.

4 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Unfortunately this happens a lot. Images posted in the online versions of the newspapers can get copied all over the place. If it's a commercial website (rather than a simple blogging or news scraper site), then you might want to contact Alamy before contacting the website owners, so Alamy can confirm if there's been another sale. If not Alamy might pursue an infringement claim for you. If they won't pursue, then Pixsy might, or you could try handling it yourself. Try sending them an invoice.

I have already contacted Alamy about the photo appearing in another commercial website, and they are currently pursuing it.  This one appears (though very little information about it) to be a personal blog which they cannot pursue. However, clearly the owner did not wish to pay and would rather remove it

3 minutes ago, arterra said:

Better make a screenshot of the webpage before contacting them, so you have proof of the indringement. But personally I have better things to do than going after blogs. When my image is used to gain money though (by advertising a product) I go after them and they pay dearly.

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes good suggestion re taking a screenshot. I am only very small scale and only recently in this business so it's more out of interest to see where the photos end up, but appreciate if you have many images online it's a different story. I would have little idea of what to do to settle an infringement unless it was done via Alamy or what to ask for in payment in the case you describe.

It's something you'll need to get used to. Blogs and sites beyond western Europe are not worth pursuing. If it's an English or Welsh publisher you can go through IPEC small claims track if they won't pay- most do because they know about IPEC- but I don't know how it works if you live in Scotland.

Archived