Interesting Story, regarding famous peoples images rights

And it's only because her reputation may have been damaged* that the judge ruled in her favour. In other words, you can use an image however you like, as long as you don't damage someone's reputation (or cause them financial loss, I think). 

*I think even my reputation would be damaged if my likeness appeared on a TopShop T-shirt. 

It would appear that the photographer was in the clear anyway - obviously they had no 'model release' so her lawyers went after the publisher not the photographer - reinforcing the concept that it is the publisher (Top Shop) who is responsible for the final usage of an image not the photographer/copyright owner......

I retired from a commercial world where litigation was a normal tool of business. Litigators always look to where the money is. And I've got to say that it is not with us small fry. In our world litigators, if they have a sound case, will always target where the money is, and that is the publishers, not the lowly photographer. It does not mean that photographers will not be part of any action but IMO they will not be the main target. The reason is that even if you have an action found against you as a freelance photographer, the chance of a litigator getting any money is slim. An action against any party is only as good as the ability of that party to pay. Put simply, litigators are unlikely to pursue such a judgement.

Ken

Archived