Can someone please remind me what an iQ sale actually represents? Is it always a repeat License of a previously Licensed image?

A fairly big chunk of my sales (26.4%) are iQ sales. Virtually all my images are RM with only a very small minority RF so repeat Licensing of the same image is important to me when it comes to deciding to stick with RM. If all images marked iQ in the usage field are indeed repeat business, then that definitely points towards confirming my view that RF is not the way to go.

For those wondering how to find out your percentage of iQ sales, just download the Alamy sales spreadsheet for the date period you're interested in, then highlight the column with the usage information, press CTRL F, type iQ in the search box and press FIND ALL. The total will appear in the bottom of the search box.

I would be interested to hear from other near-complete RM portfolio holders what your percentage is.

Marc

Yes, I imagine that the majority of iQ sales are by repeat buyers, very important when it comes to remaining a steady income.

Apparently, iQ sales can be either RM or RF. All mine have been RM, in name anyway.

Personally, I think that RM won't be disappearing any time soon. I'd estimate that at least 80% of Alamy's collection is RM.

I have iQ sales for both RF and RM so I think iQ should not enter into your RF or RM calculation

iQ is a free Alamy digital asset management program for clients. An iQ sale is not necessarily a repeat sale. It is probably a new sale that is being put into the clients Alamy iQ system. If you have a RM sale that is licensed for 5 years, then a client could put the file into Alamy iQ (iQ sale) and have no charge access to the file for the next 5 years for multiple projects that fit the original license. At the end of 5 years if the client still wants to renew the license then you would have a repeat iQ sale. iQ saves the client the work of setting up his own digital asset management system, and encourages him to open an Alamy account, and make Alamy his # 1 source of stock photography.

In some ways Alamy iQ works against repeat sales because it keeps client employees informed of the rights situation of individual images. Like you already own the rights, just download and use again.

John: If 80% of the Alamy collection is RM, and Alamy clients want RF, wouldn’t it make sense to put more of your images into Alamy RF?

I have iQ sales for both RF and RM so I think iQ should not enter into your RF or RM calculation

iQ is a free Alamy digital asset management program for clients. An iQ sale is not necessarily a repeat sale. It is probably a new sale that is being put into the clients Alamy iQ system. If you have a RM sale that is licensed for 5 years, then a client could put the file into Alamy iQ (iQ sale) and have no charge access to the file for the next 5 years for multiple projects that fit the original license. At the end of 5 years if the client still wants to renew the license then you would have a repeat iQ sale. iQ saves the client the work of setting up his own digital asset management system, and encourages him to open an Alamy account, and make Alamy his # 1 source of stock photography.

In some ways Alamy iQ works against repeat sales because it keeps client employees informed of the rights situation of individual images. Like you already own the rights, just download and use again.

John: If 80% of the Alamy collection is RM, and Alamy clients want RF, wouldn’t it make sense to put more of your images into Alamy RF?

Perhaps I'm delusionary, but I think that RM -- despite the occasional iQ RM sales that are really RF in disguise -- is still the best way to preserve the value for the majority of my images. I get enough decently priced traditional RM sales every month to suggest that there are still buyers who feel comfortable with traditional RM licensing. Also, it would be impractical for me to change many of my images to RF since I offer them elsewhere (including thru my own website) as RM.

That said, I will be experimenting more with RF images, as discussed in other threads.

I know of one agency (unnamed, of course) that offers clients both RM and RF licenses for the same image if it does not require releases. The RF option is considerably higher priced than the RM one. This seems like an interesting, best-of-both-worlds, option. Not sure how well it works or how widespread this practice is, however.

Archived