Hi

I think there was a thread on this in the old forum but I'd like to ask again.

I use Nikon ViewNx2 software for captioning and keywording. A while ago, after long periods of use, the images started turning completely black. The problem could be cured by rebooting the computer, which was a pain but worked.

The problem is now becoming much worse, and this morning I can't use it. I first load it and can see the images but as soon as I do anything else, they turn into black rectangles.

I have downloaded the newest version, cleared the cash, uninstalled the old version of View, defragmented the hard drive and everything else I can think of.

I've found the same problems on a couple of forums, so I'm not alone, but nobody has provided an answer.

Has anybody found a solution?

My solution was to switch to using Photo Mechanic but that's probably not the solution you're looking for, Phil.

I am serious though; ViewNX2 is so slow and flaky (Mac OSX 10.8.4) that the extra investment was worth it, just to save so much time and speed up metadata input. 

I still use ViewNX on the rare occasion I want to look up something specific about the image that I can't get in PM such as if I'm fine tuning AF or I want to see the focus point. But since I use Capture NX with PM, that data is usually easily available anyway.

ViewNX2 actually has the potential to be a super-efficient NEF processor. The whole thing is just so poorly implemented.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant then, didn't I?

Thanks Russell. I suppose I might have to switch to a different program, which is a shame. I'm surprised Nikon haven't provided some sort of answer as it is clear from several problems that this is a widespread problem. I'd have thought they'd care more about their software reputation.

Phil,

the problem was with the size of the preview cache. Google maybe for Nikon ViewNx2 preview cache. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the program myself anymore.

wim

• 1 month later...

Archived