Sony A6300 for less than £800

The price is slithering down, and makes the a6500 look very expensive at £1499. Is it worth paying an extra £700 to get in body stabilisation? Probably not, in my view. Maybe Sony intends to drop the a6300? Will the price fall further, will the pound fall further against the dollar, decisions???

I find image stabilization very helpful with my Sony lenses. However, I wouldn't pay that much extra for it.

Can't speak for the £, but the Canadian dollar also remains low against the US$, which means that Sony prices have risen over 25%. Glad I bought the Sony lenses that I have a few years ago. Fortunately, my NEX-6 is still in really good shape (touch wood).

My NEX6 is also soldiering on, despite considerable use and abuse, but it has started to show a few warning signs that it may not live forever. I don't have a back up body, so I may have to splash the cash.

Realistically the choice is between the a6000 (a bargain at the moment) and the a6300. The a6300 is supposed to be better constructed and has a superior EVF, which may be the deciding factor. I've got until the end of the tax year to continue to procrastinate, assuming the NEX continues that long.

Two of my three lenses for my NEX cameras (3, 6, and 7) have IS: the Sony 10-18 and 50. I also have IS on my RX100/3 and RX10, where I use it often accompanied by covering myself with extra shots and sniper breathing. I love IS but these days I don't pay £700 for anything that I can't eat over a long period of time. I don't see how Sony can justify these large price increases for a few model improvements these days. It seems excessive. The fact is, for stock, I don't need anymore improvements on my cameras. 

Good luck, Bryan, with whatever you decide. 

I don't really need a lot of fancy equipment -- nor do I have the funds to buy it -- so my current system will have to continue "soldiering on." Fortunately it's doing the job.

However, if Sony keeps raising prices, then I might have to switch to a different brand down the road. Will worry about that later.

Personally, I'd go for the bargain a6000 if I were to upgrade. It gets really good reviews and they won't last forever.

The price is slithering down, and makes the a6500 look very expensive at £1499. Is it worth paying an extra £700 to get in body stabilisation? Probably not, in my view. Maybe Sony intends to drop the a6300? Will the price fall further, will the pound fall further against the dollar, decisions???

The difference in IBIS between the A6300 and A7rii was noticeable and definitely a nice to have... but, is it worth paying more than double?!? (compared to A6500) I don't think so. Touch screen and bigger buffer are the other two main differences and the touch screen isn't the best implementation apparently. Even though I really do like IBIS, I'd struggle to justify that increase, the A6300 @ £700 looks like a bargain and it's a nice camera that has very good AF. Pop that EVF up to the 120 refresh rate and it looks stunning. Solid build to it, I don't think you could go far wrong with it.

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen.

The a6000 would certainly do a job, but as a stubborn manual focus geek, I have a concern about the EVF, a downgrade from the NEX.  I'm sure it would be fine for autofocus.

I have tried looking through the viewfinder of a tethered a6000 in a department store John, but the menus are different to those on the NEX, while I could only use the dreaded 16-50 standard lens. Results very inconclusive! 

I have tried looking through the viewfinder of a tethered a6000 in a department store John, but the menus are different to those on the NEX, while I could only use the dreaded 16-50 standard lens. Results very inconclusive! 

Smaller camera stores here -- the untethered sort -- usually allow you to try lenses on cameras and even step outside to snap a few shots. I've done that quite often, so I can look at the results at home before making a decision. But perhaps this would be considered impolite in the UK. B)

Not many small camera stores here these days, I don't think there is a single one in our local City of Newcastle, where there was once a collection to choose from. I think it's a similar story in Oxford, where I once tried to buy a lens cap or something similar.

While I have tried to support local stores in the past, they can rarely compete on price or range with the Internet sellers. It's not just photo gear, we're going to end up with boring high streets full of coffee and charity shops, competing with estate agents and hairdressers. 

Not many small camera stores here these days, I don't think there is a single one in our local City of Newcastle, where there was once a collection to choose from. I think it's a similar story in Oxford, where I once tried to buy a lens cap or something similar.

While I have tried to support local stores in the past, they can rarely compete on price or range with the Internet sellers. It's not just photo gear, we're going to end up with boring high streets full of coffee and charity shops, competing with estate agents and hairdressers. 

There are fewer smaller camera stores here as well, but fortunately a handful have managed survive by bringing their prices down. Most will match online prices if it means a sale. I'm still a three-dimensional shopper when it comes to buying camera equipment. I like to get my hands on something before I shell out for it. The Web is a boon, though, for accessories such as caps, filters, etc. Gentrification has destroyed a lot of Vancouver's shopping districts as well. Boutiques full of overpriced clothing and smelly things abound.

If you can get to the Metrocentre, the lads there will get one out of the box or untether one. I often go there as they'll order in stuff to let me try it before buying it. From memory, they have quite a few Sony camera's and lenses in store.

Edit .... Might be an idea to say "Jessops" at the metrocentre :rolleyes:

Archived