In both the Times yesterday, and the Sunday Times today, there are "advertorial" wraparounds promoting travel to Australia, each carry Alamy credited photos.

I'd be interested to know if these are paid at editorial or advertising rates - certainly today's edition carries the flag "Promoted Content" (e.g advert), so I would assume these photos should achieve a reasonable fee.

Has anyone had prior experience of this, and what rates were paid?

Should point out, none of these are my photos, I'd just be interested to know how this has panned out so far.

I've had similar usage for "promoted content" and got fee slightly more than normal newspaper scheme fee. However it is, and should be, priced as advertising . But Alamy seems to be happy to let this go.??

I'm confused about whether unreleased images should be used in advertorial. I'd think not, but it has happened.

Tend to agree - if it's an ad, it's commercial use, and presumably released images only.

Hadn't been paying much attention to these wraparounds until this weekend, will do so from now on.

OK, I've checked again and the wording on many licences is "One time use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within the print and/or web versions of a single publication title."

That would seem to imply that the advertorial price is the same as the editorial price, but not necessarily that the image was used in advertorial.

Archived