I photographed a flooded road on Christmas Day.

The Telegraph used the image in their online edition on 29th Dec 2012

The image has never shown up on any sales so one can only assume that the Telegraph has not reported the usage.

I have sent the screen grab to MS on two separate occasions and asked them to make some enquiries.  I have been assured they will chase it up.

Today is July 17th.  Still no payment. Still no notification of usage.  Nothing.  

The image was probably sold for peanuts anyway - I assume that is MS cannot be bothered to chase it up.

I give up.

Gordon

I have always found that they do chase but even when chased, it can still take a few more weeks to work its way through the system.

Coincidentally, I had a flood picture used just after Christmas and that has only just been reported. I didn't know it had been used so didn't chase but it does show that some papers reporting times can be as long as 6 months.

The business model is: wait as long as you can before paying, don't pay unless you have to, and pay as little as possible.  It's no good complaining - why is anyone still in the newspaper scheme?

Chris

why is anyone still in the newspaper scheme?

Chris

So that when people "steal" the photo from the newspaper websites I can invoice them and get some proper fees.

LOL

Kevin

Good answer - but does it pay off?  In my experience the images end up on blogs in China and Russia. :-(

Chris

Yes, I have had some good payouts but you have to be selective on who you chase. Don't waste your time on blogs etc. Also study who you chase up and pitch the invoice amount to a sensible amount in tune with who they are. Lately I invoiced a local council and a hobbyists fishing website. The council was invoiced for more than the hobbyist and being sensible amounts they both paid. I know some people advocate invoicing for massive amounts because of the theft aspect but if you want a quick resolution without invoking solicitors keep it sensible. Think, If I was that person/company would I be likely to pay that amount without a fuss.

Just my thoughts

Kevin

Chris

So that when people "steal" the photo from the newspaper websites I can invoice them and get some proper fees.

LOL

Kevin

Good answer - but does it pay off?  In my experience the images end up on blogs in China and Russia. :-(

Chris

I had a similar experience with the Telegraph but MS did sort it out eventually. If I understand correctly they pay a fixed sum for their images and would therefore have a vested interest not to report usage so that they have a lower volume on which to base next year's fee on. From their perspective they are paying a fixed fee so have no incentive to administer usage - or am I just being cynical?

dov

Yes, I have had some good payouts but you have to be selective on who you chase. Don't waste your time on blogs etc. Also study who you chase up and pitch the invoice amount to a sensible amount in tune with who they are. Lately I invoiced a local council and a hobbyists fishing website. The council was invoiced for more than the hobbyist and being sensible amounts they both paid. I know some people advocate invoicing for massive amounts because of the theft aspect but if you want a quick resolution without invoking solicitors keep it sensible. Think, If I was that person/company would I be likely to pay that amount without a fuss.

Just my thoughts

Kevin

Chris

LOL

Kevin

Chris

Point taken, and good for you, Kevin.  I prefer to deal with honorable people in the first place, but perhaps I'm being naive.

Chris

Archived