French Law - Model Release

Hi. From what I’ve researched French law is crazily tight on model release, with each individual usage needing to be approved by the model.

So if, say, photographer shoots a fashion show in France – has releases for the show, but then the company who provided the lights for the show want to licence the images for their own promotional usage – would that legally be a no-no, as the models wont have approved that type of image usage? Any help/thoughts?

Ah the French! Drink their wine, eat their food, flirt with their jeune femme . . . but don't take any pictures. 

Rather odd that things have gone the way they have in France, since it was a Frenchman, Louis Daguerre, who introduced commercial photography to the world, and Paris was the early breeding ground for innovative camera work.  

"it's only applicable to publication in France"

Which shows how much I know !  I thought it depended where the picture was taken... Doh!

Many Thanks !

Of course a given law can only apply within its jurisdiction, with very few examples which aren't relevant here- war crimes and so on. Presumably a non-resident could decide to litigate in France, but only over a publication in France. A resident could complain wherever it was taken- it's the publication that counts. You don't need a release until then.

Ah the French! Drink their wine, eat their food, flirt with their jeune femme . . . but don't take any pictures. 

Rather odd that things have gone the way they have in France, since it was a Frenchman, Louis Daguerre, who introduced commercial photography to the world, and Paris was the early breeding ground for innovative camera work.  

And France has a long, fine tradition of photojournalism and street photography.

Archived