Canon 5DSr and noise.

Does anyone find luminance noise a problem with this camera due to the high pixel count. I find it most noticeable with slight underexposure. In your experience do forum members use any amount of luminance noise reduction for submission with this or indeed any other camera. I’ve only ever used chrominance NR up to now with other cameras. I use DPP or LR for processing and I’ve tried small amounts of lum. NR on the 5DSr and it doesn’t seem to impact too much on IQ (although I haven’t submitted these images.) Do the forum find this to be a legitimate processing step in small quantities. Any comments greatly appreciated.

I have 15 luma NR in a preset- otiose but doesn't hurt images up to 800 which don't usually need any more. Intended for Sony A55, but kept for A58. Mainly because I can't be bothered to change it.

You could always downsize the offending images a bit.

In LR or PS, you can always use the adjustment brush and then choose NR in desired amount. Brush over the places (skies?) that you aren't happy with.  I have done this with good results and without softening critical areas like the point of interest.

Archived