Today when attempting to open my CS3 I was greeted with a dialogue box, saying this version is not available and that I should contact my IT manager, Adobe, repair or reinstall.

After two attempts to reinstall I am starting to look at other options.

I realize that this version is very old but it suits the way I work. I like to have a final check of the images in Photoshop, sometimes tweaking the contrast. But mostly I prefer spot removal in CS.

I have resisted going CC thus far and wonder whether Adobe are in some restricting usage of these older versions.

Conspiracy theories and paranoia are supreme in this household. :lol:

Any thoughts? I guess something strange has happened to my computer, I just find it odd after all this time this problem has occurred.

I realize that this version is very old but it suits the way I work. I like to have a final check of the images in Photoshop, sometimes tweaking the contrast. But mostly I prefer spot removal in CS.

I have resisted going CC thus far and wonder whether Adobe are in some restricting usage of these older versions.

Presumably you are using Lightroom. If you have a computer that can run the latest version (assuming you are not already using LR perpetual 6.x), then there have been some seriously good enhancements in the past year or so and particularly recently where they have speeded it up very significantly in the Develop module. This makes a huge difference to workflow in terms of speed and there are numerous other enhancements. It needs a 64-bit OS.

I didn't mention it above but I have posted several times before on here about the enhancements in Photoshop post CS4. If you use it for nothing more than panning around for spots, then you will notice a great difference in speed as the graphics engine was rewritten in CS6. In addition, the 64 bit versions (CS5 on I think) allow PS to use far more RAM than previously which provides great speed improvements for larger files. There have been too many general improvements to detail here but CC is way ahead of CS3 and is well worth the subscription I think. I held out with CS6 for a long time but decided to finally subscribe when they stopped providing updates for CS6 a little while back. It's £102 a year or £8.xx a month and so far prices are the same as pre-referendum despite the fall in the £ :(. If you are undecided, you could always try the trial.

Archived