Any thoughts on preferred aspect ratio?

Any thoughts on what aspect ratio is preferred by customers?

Obviously 2:3 and 3:4 are the most popular OOC aspect ratios, but is there any preference for one of them?

And what about more extreme ratios like 16:10 or 16:9? Doing landscapes, 16:10 is my (artistic) favorite, but does it sell?

For a combined front and back book cover, some even more extreme aspect ratios are needed. What about wide-screen banners? billboards (I'm still dreaming of a 10k$ billboard sale)? There's many uses for extreme aspect ratios, but does the customer expect us to offer images with such aspect ratios, or will they anyways just crop a "regular" 2:3 or 3:4 image?

Christoph

I once picked up that a square 1:1 format was popular, not seen the science behind it and sales would not support it. may be it is a web-thing?

I think it used to be the studio photographers favourite in the old film days for portraits of celebs and fashion/food.

Allan

Back to OP I shoot full frame and let the buyer decide how it should be cropped in most instances.

(ITMA)

The BBC web site seems to favour 16:9 landscape format most of the time. As others have said I tend to try and give room for a picture editor to crop as they think for fit for their layout. For non-stock images (display etc) I usually let the image determine the format it needs although I do tend to see in 3:2, after 45 years of 35mm!

I once picked up that a square 1:1 format was popular, not seen the science behind it and sales would not support it. may be it is a web-thing?

I think it used to be the studio photographers favourite in the old film days for portraits of celebs and fashion/food.

Allan

Back to OP I shoot full frame and let the buyer decide how it should be cropped in most instances.

(ITMA)

Thanks Allan - shudders go through my bones at the idea of picking up the old 'blad and 120 film -  6x6 guess we all loved it at the time!

How things have moved in little more than a decade

Allan

(ITMA)

Thanks Allan - shudders go through my bones at the idea of picking up the old 'blad and 120 film -  6x6 guess we all loved it at the time!

How things have moved in little more than a decade

Some photographers are still using 'blads but with 50 MP digital back now. :)

Allan

Archived