Inappropriate Use of Preview and Comp Images

fotoDogue

Over the past six to twelve months I've noticed an increased number of Alamy preview images used on the web. Most of these images aren't "shared" with a link back to Alamy but rather are watermarked  comp images. Most often I've come across these on Facebook  used in a totally innocuous manner.. but not always.

Yesterday I decided to google two recently reported sales. I never did find a legitimate use but one is being used on a Malware site that spits out various errors when you click on the link. The second is on page called "Gay Boys" which used an unreleased photo of minor children who were protesting against gays.. Ironically, that one does eventually link back to Alamy.

From a photographer's point of view, allowing unregistered access to comp images doesn't seem t be working out so well. I wonder if Alamy would consider limiting these 1300x948  comp images to registered users who are logged in.

fD

Unregistered users can download comp images?!

Yes, I double checked with my daughter's computer which has never been logged into Alamy. These 1300x948 comps are only a right-click away.

Unregistered users can download comp images?!

Yes, I double checked with my daughter's computer which has never been logged into Alamy. These 1300x948 comps are only a right-click away.

Wow, the risk-to-benefit odds aren't ones I'd personally go for - literally: Photoshelter hosts my site, and I disabled option for Registered users to download low-res comps.

I've never had that Photoshelter option activated, so at least when someone steals one of my images from PS it'll be watermarked . . . not that that's much of a deterrent to some.

dd

I've never had that Photoshelter option activated, so at least when someone steals one of my images from PS it'll be watermarked . . . not that that's much of a deterrent to some.

dd

dd - I like your watermark a lot.

BTW, if you want your Portfolio galleries watermarked, check "Watermark Images" option at photoshelter.com/mem/site/page-edit/portfolio

- Ann

dd

dd - I like your watermark a lot.

BTW, if you want your Portfolio galleries watermarked, check "Watermark Images" option at photoshelter.com/mem/site/page-edit/portfolio

- Ann

Thank you Ann.

I know there was a reason I decided to take a risk on the portfolio images and remove the watermark from just them, but I can't remember what it was . . . it might have been something as trivial as because it obstructed the view of the broken heel on the Central Park model's shoe :)

I'll try it  back on for a while.

dd

I noticed this weekend some blogger managed to hot link a watermarked photo on my PhotoShelter even though I have downloads disabled.

I deleted the photo but I'm still waiting for PhotoShelter to update.

I noticed this weekend some blogger managed to hot link a watermarked photo on my PhotoShelter even though I have downloads disabled.

I deleted the photo but I'm still waiting for PhotoShelter to update.

Yep. Disabling downloads there is just a speed-hump for determined thiefs, but as I said above, at least stolen pics will be watermarked . . . for what that's worth :ph34r:

dd

Archived