No Model Release Required?

Interesting read about Jeff Mitchell's image that was used in the EU Referendum: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jun/22/jeff-mitchells-best-shot-the-column-of-marching-refugees-used-in-ukips-brexit-campaign

What I don't understand is how UKIP can use the picture without model releases of all the identifiable people: it is being used to promote a political party, so surely it needs model releases. Or do they just rely on the fact that none of the people are likely to be in a position to sue?

Actually it wasn't promoting a political party, it was promoting a campaign, slightly different I think.

Point taken, Dougie, but is it different? If there was a campaign against, for example, single-sex marriage (or any other issue you care to name) surely they couldn't use an unreleased image for that?

Actually it wasn't promoting a political party, it was promoting a campaign, slightly different I think.

Point taken, Dougie, but is it different? If there was a campaign against, for example, single-sex marriage (or any other issue you care to name) surely they couldn't use an unreleased image for that?

We could question the ethics of Farage in using the picture in this way and if I was in the image I would be seeking at least an apology if not some recompense, I don't however think damages could be claimed from the photographer or the agent in this instance released or not released, and I'd treat your example in the same fashion. The end user must have the responsibility for an image's intended and final use.

Archived