Canon Cropped sensor v Full frame sharpness

Hi everybody,   over the past few weeks i have been calibrating various lenses on my Canon 7D mk ii,  it dose not matter what i do it seems impossible to get tack sharp images more so with long 600mm lenses,  the worst results come from the Canon 600mm and the sigma 150-600 sports,  all of the lenses are tack sharp on my full frame 1Ds iii.

Is their anyone here who can say for sure if the full frame sensor is sharper than crop,  i am reluctant to send the 7d in for testing as there might be nothing wrong with it.

Any knowledgeable people who can help will be appreciated.

Thank's to all,

Paul.

Not as knowledgeable as you would like, but I often use my Canon 70-200mm fixed on my older version of the 7d - and keep a walk-around lens on my 5dII in order not to change lenses too often in the city or at risky places. The 70-200 does ALSO a great job on the 7d and I even have the advantage of the smaller sensor.

Wouldn't any misadjustment in the camera sometimes have greater effect the longer the tele is? As you can see I go for the camera to be looked at, but you may get more precise information from similar product users.

have not got a 7D but a 70D and compare to a 5dsr. apart from the additional sharpness on the 5dsr one expexcts for the cancellation filter, images are tack sharp on both cameras.

you may want to try if shooting in live view changes the sharpness of your pictures. if it does it could be a problem with the body. to my knowledge live view evaluates sharpness on the sensor, while view finder will use the cross-sensors

It might be worth googling this issue. I did a quick search and found this at dpreview. There could be an issue with the 7dmkii and if there is, might be worth getting it back to Canon if it's under warranty!

Edit, I presume you are running the latest Firmware? Canon release an update in 2015 correcting AF problems.

Another forum discussing AF problems with the Canon 7dmkii. Hopefully there maybe some pointers out there as to the best course of action!

Thank's to everybody,  i have taken on board what has been said here, as nobody has clearly said that a full frame is sharper than crop i suspect that my 7D ii has a problem,  i ventured into using Reiken Focal to calibrate the lenses,  unfortunately there was no improvement,  i am now thinking of having it looked at by Canon service.

Thanks again.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's to everybody, i have taken on board what has been said here, as nobody has clearly said that a full frame is sharper than crop i suspect that my 7D ii has a problem, i ventured into using Reiken Focal to calibrate the lenses, unfortunately there was no improvement, i am now thinking of having it looked at by Canon service.

Thanks again.

Paul.

I'll try to throw in my two cents.

If you're shooting with a tripod, try to turn off the stabilizer on the lens, and in this case, remove the mirror up.

The second option, which I personally encountered Canon 1 DX, Canon 1 D MarkIV --- no autofocus misses when selected center focus point is, in all other cases it is better to focus manually and without stabilizer.

Adjustment by the way does not help in this case.

I upgraded some years ago from a cropped 50D to a full fram 5D mII

With the cropped you shouldnt close the aperture more than f11 or f13 because you start having visible diffraction

If you are around f8 both sensors should give you tack sharp images.

Could that be the case?

Look at this article:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

The 7D is at the edge of resolution you can squeeze from this sensor size so anything not perfect will appear.

A trick is to decrease the image when processing.

An 18Mpixels unsharp image might look sharp if you decrease the image to, say 12Mpixels

Archived