"print only" button?

Some time ago I found an image I'd sold to a magazine (in conjunction with an article I wrote, i.e., not through Alamy) published in an unrelated website in another country. When I contacted the offending Web publisher, he cordially took it down. The way he got the image was by copying from the website of the magazine publisher, who had posted it not at full size but certainly large enough for any kind of web use.

This seems to be the problem: you sell it once for print and because the magazine also has a Web version, the image is effectively given away to anyone whose mouse has a right button (or, for Mac users, an Option key).

I would like to see some kind of size limit placed on web use, say maximum 400 pixels on the long side. Either that or watermark it. One possible solution would be to have a "print only" button as well as, or instead of, an "editorial only" button.

There is a way of disabling right click on websites but I am no expert so cannot help.

Allan

Yes, I've used one of those before; probably the one from Dynamic Drive. Then I stopped since screen capturing gets around it anyway.

Assuming that when a publication purchases rights for Web use they can put the images up in any size they want, there probably is no way to prevent people from taking them.

Just have to  chase down infringements.

This is the problem with internet publishing, once on a site anybody can use it,  there are not to many sites using methods to stop copying,  and what annoys me is the lack of credit lines,  perhaps some people might use the credit line as a means to contact the supplier or © owner and pay for the image without resorting to copy and paste theft.

Paul.

There is a way of disabling right click on websites but I am no expert so cannot help.

Allan

Yes, I've used one of those before; probably the one from Dynamic Drive. Then I stopped since screen capturing gets around it anyway.

Assuming that when a publication purchases rights for Web use they can put the images up in any size they want, there probably is no way to prevent people from taking them.

Just have to  chase down infringements.

You can easily disable the JavaScript which prevents right-clicking, in any case.

Archived