License question: Reuse of an image in the same book after expiration of license period.

In 2007 I Alamy licenced one of my (bird) images for the use in an almanac on birdlife... So far so good. The licence however was isued in 2007 with a license period from Start: 31 August 2007 to End: 31 August 2010.

Recently I found the image being use in a book (apparently the same book, but reprint/rerun). I asked Alamy MS about it and they said that it falls under the license from 2007... the funny thing though is that that license was issued until august 2010 and the book we are talking about did not hit the shelfs before 2011... Am I being ridiculous in thinking that this should have been a new license or...?

Hello,

I believe that since the picture was lincensed in 2007 and they copyrighted the book, that picture will be legally theres to use until the copyright expires. And was the pictures Rights Manged or Royalty Free? Hope this helps,

Jacob Y.

Hello,

I believe that since the picture was lincensed in 2007 and they copyrighted the book, that picture will be legally theres to use until the copyright expires. And was the pictures Rights Manged or Royalty Free? Hope this helps,

Jacob Y.

In the original edition, yes, but not the new edition, I don't think. Alamy apparently thinks differently, but if they're right, what are the dates for?

In 2007 I Alamy licenced one of my (bird) images for the use in an almanac on birdlife... So far so good. The licence however was isued in 2007 with a license period from Start: 31 August 2007 to End: 31 August 2010.

Recently I found the image being use in a book (apparently the same book, but reprint/rerun). I asked Alamy MS about it and they said that it falls under the license from 2007... the funny thing though is that that license was issued until august 2010 and the book we are talking about did not hit the shelfs before 2011... Am I being ridiculous in thinking that this should have been a new license or...?

Maybe Alamy's theory is that although the book hit the shelves in 2011, it went into reprint and revision in 2010.

Jill

Hello,

Jacob Y.

The Photo will never be legally theirs... they bought themselves a licence for use. And the image was RM, like all my images at Alamy.

Hello,

Jacob Y.

In the original edition, yes, but not the new edition, I don't think. Alamy apparently thinks differently, but if they're right, what are the dates for?

Good question... not clear to me at all! I have a question standing out with MS.

Archived