Hello from Washington USA

RileyShiery

Hello Alamy Forums!

​I'm just another aspiring photographer :) my primary interest is Nature, I want to be like Jim Brandenburg, Galen Rowell, and Art Wolfe.

I believe humans were given the unique powers we have in order to bear witness to Earth’s marvels,  appreciate them, and act as stewards. I find myself constantly in awe of the world we get to inhabit. I have a BS in Zoology, and a BA in Photography, but I am reminded daily of how little I know. I have been carrying my camera and practicing photography for the past 8 years and I’m just getting to the point where I feel I can start sharing my work publicly. I am so excited and awed by nature and I believe it is my purpose in life to spread that love and enthusiasm.

I have put in lots of time working on my photography, I think I am finally passably competent with my technique and am ready to put my time into making it work. I am just starting out and mostly lost, figuring out how to sustain myself financially by doing photography seems like it’s going to take a lot of trial and error, and time. ​​The message I keep seeing is that it is impossible to make it nowadays as a nature photog, maybe that is true, but I have to make it someday somehow. So here I am J

I am hoping I can learn a lot here at Alamy, and that I can finally start selling something, maybe in 10 more years I will have learned and sold enough of my work to quit my day job and shoot fulltime :D I am excited to meet all of my fellow photog comrades here at Alamy and hope that I can give as much help and guidance as I hope to receive J

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Riley and welcome.

You will probably find it's a bit of a slog but you have a real good attitude towards your chosen subject(s). You've made a good start with some vibrant images and my best advice is to stick at it and mix up your subject matter a bit more. Glad to see you admire the work of Art Wolfe - I have his book 'Water' on my bookshelf and still occasionally look through it for a bit of inspiration.

Good luck,

Jim. :)  

Hi Riley, Welcome to Alamy.

You have a great mind-set, like you, The Great Ansel Adams felt the same and his beautiful images played a major influencing role in the creation of your great National Parks.

Good luck.

Parm

@Alexandre Fagundes
Thank you!

@Broad Norfolk
Thanks, I am trying to be realistic and steel myself for the long haul :) When you say mixup my subject matter more, do you you mean subjects outside wildlife/nature? Or subjects within that general category? Art is totally my hero, he runs a gallery here in Seattle and I try to stop in whenever I can and admire his work. I will have to keep an eye out for that book next time I visit and give it a look :)

@Bhandol
Thank you, I am a big fan of Ansel and his work, he really paved the way for nature lovers with his passion and his work, he is definitely a hero to me. :D

Edited: I am a noob with this forums interface...

Hi Riley,

When I suggested mixup your subject matter, I mean't don't miss the opportunity to include any subjects outside of nature/wildlife to include in your portfolio. You can still specialize but the road to sales is usually a bit of a numbers game to start off and every little helps!

Regards, Jim. :) 

@Davey Towers
Thank you for the warm welcome :) I totally agree, I cant learn what works until I confirm what doesn't! You have a nice variety in your collection, I admire your breadth :)

@Broad Norfolk
Ah ha! Thanks you for clarifying, I think that is really good advice, I will definitely start shooting more varied subjects in the future. :)

@Gurcharan
Hello there! Thank you, I hope so too! :D

Archived