Any of you with CC LR and PS use the Dehaze filter much?

I like the drama it adds to the skies, but it usually ruins the foreground. I didn't have much success using suggested methods in LR to just have it work on the sky, but found a method that's very easy for this simpleton.

Prepare your image as usual in LR. Open into PS.

Duplicate the layer.

Go under "Filters" and choose Camera Raw.

In ACR, apply the Dehaze filter under fx. Open again in PS.

Add a mask, choose a large brush with black in the foreground, and paint off the Dehaze effects from anything you don't want it on. I usually do this brush at 100% opacity, but it depends on if you like a bit of the effect elsewhere. I routinely remove it all except for the sky.

Flatten.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but there may be a couple of you having trouble using this filter the way you'd like.

Those who can do it well in LR, please share your method to only get the effect on the sky.

Betty

The LR dehaze filter is also available in the graduated filter menu. This means that you can target it's use to specific parts of your image. You can also use a brush filter (within the grad filter) to remove the effect on whatever portions of your image you like. I've found the LR system to be much more efficient than blending layers In PS - although either will get the job done.

I'm a big fan of the dehaze filter. It's easy to overuse it though.

Hi Betty, the dehaze filter is available to use with the the gradient, radial and brush tools which would probably save you all that other work, it is located between the clarity and saturation sliders when you chose one of those tools.  With the brush tool you can paint an portion of your photo with it then use the erase brush to clean it up.  I found that when I use the dehaze slider on an entire photo I usually have to move the shadow slider further to the right as it seems to darken the shadows.   I photographed a foggy farm scene this past week and after I had made all my adjustments it didn't look foggy enough.  I discovered that if you move the dehaze slider to the left it increases the fogginess.  I think I read somewhere that the dehaze filter for use with those tools is not available with the stand alone version of Lightroom, only with CC. 

John

When I tried to use Dehaze within LR, I think using the gradient, then again then trying to paint it on, somehow I ended up painting pink on my image instead of erasing, and couldn't figure our how to reverse it, and get my untouched image back.

If I simply use the sliders in LR, I'm fine. But when I attempt to use any of the effects you mentioned, I make a horrible mess. I can use the gradient a bit as long as I don't try to erase. I understand layers and work well with them.

Not that I wouldn't like to do things in LR, I would. I just don't want to sacrifice any more images when I can't figure out how to reverse my mistakes. In PS, if I mess up the image, I either go back in History, or I can simply close the image without saving and start over again. Not so with LR. It's not so straightforward.

And yes, I've watched the how to videos and still mess it up!

When I tried to use Dehaze within LR, I think using the gradient, then again then trying to paint it on, somehow I ended up painting pink on my image instead of erasing, and couldn't figure our how to reverse it, and get my untouched image back.

If I simply use the sliders in LR, I'm fine. But when I attempt to use any of the effects you mentioned, I make a horrible mess. I can use the gradient a bit as long as I don't try to erase. I understand layers and work well with them.

Not that I wouldn't like to do things in LR, I would. I just don't want to sacrifice any more images when I can't figure out how to reverse my mistakes. In PS, if I mess up the image, I either go back in History, or I can simply close the image without saving and start over again. Not so with LR. It's not so straightforward.

And yes, I've watched the how to videos and still mess it up!

OK... actually easy to reverse selected area in Lightroom - You have Brush A, Brush B and Erase at the bottom of the Adjustment Brush (K) area. Not sure if you are also aware that LR adjustments can be tweaked in Adobe Camera Raw?  Good for limiting the areas covered by, for example, graduated filters.  So, if you're really not happy with LR, you can always use ACR (or LR then ACR).  

Lots of interesting tricks around that and smart objects in PS, although it can get just a little confusing if you don't stop and think (A LOT)!

Best,

Mike

Hello Betty I think the pink you are painting is just the mask overlay so you can see where you have painted, there is a little box at the bottom of the image to the left untick this and you can see your effect your brush has made and the pink is gone

David

Hi Betty, there is a small box in the brush control panel marked color that might not be set to zero.  If you click on the color box a selection of colors will appear, make sure that the slider at the bottom is all the way to the left at zero percent.  It is a handy tool to local intensify colors if needed.  With the gradient tool you can add a bit of blue to a sky with it.

John

Archived