Property releases

When can I state that Alamy do not need a property release, I've read Alamy FAQ guidelines and I'm familiar with "editorial" usage, as you will be aware picture agencies range from very strict to a fairly lackadaisical attitude to this. I just need to know when I can take a picture in a public place without a property release, for instance do I need a release for every private house, flat or vehicle? Are there any general guidelines you go by?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Yes, you would need a property release to sell these as RF images. You do not need a release to sell as ediorial images, or RM usage.

Jill

Sorry but that's not correct. Depending on the jurisdiction you may or may not. In the USA for example, it's been tested in court if you need a property release for a house and the answer in California was a resounding NO!!

To the OP, you need to do a bit of research in to what's allowed. The agencies, especially the commercial ones, are very hot on what does or doesn't need a release - they are a very useful guide. Photographers seem to wrongly think that IP rights are everywhere which is far from the case. Even manufacturing rights are often short lived and usually are not even applied for.

The most obvious don't set as RF items/buildings are listed by Alamy or to see the original list, see the micros Shutterstock IIRC have a very good list.

Yes, you would need a property release to sell these as RF images. You do not need a release to sell as ediorial images, or RM usage.

Jill

Sorry but that's not correct. Depending on the jurisdiction you may or may not. In the USA for example, it's been tested in court if you need a property release for a house and the answer in California was a resounding NO!!

To the OP, you need to do a bit of research in to what's allowed. The agencies, especially the commercial ones, are very hot on what does or doesn't need a release - they are a very useful guide. Photographers seem to wrongly think that IP rights are everywhere which is far from the case. Even manufacturing rights are often short lived and usually are not even applied for.

The most obvious don't set as RF items/buildings are listed by Alamy or to see the original list, see the micros Shutterstock IIRC have a very good list.

It's correct for Alamy. It requires releases for RF and will remove images if you don't change the licence type. They've done it to me for images with property or people- I've been required to resubmit as RM and they have then removed the original RF version.

Jill

It's correct for Alamy. It requires releases for RF and will remove images if you don't change the licence type. They've done it to me for images with property or people- I've been required to resubmit as RM and they have then removed the original RF version.

Actually Alamy require releases for RF where they are appropriate/needed. They don't require them, for example,  of agency work who have set them in contradiction to your view.

Archived