I have a chance to get this tablet for $250. It's a restock, so the seller does not know if the software has been registered already.

Do you have to have the software to use with photoshop, or only if you are getting into artwork?

I have a small Wacom tablet that came with software. Not sure if that would work with this one.

Anyone have this tablet? What do you think?

Jill

I don't have this particular tablet (I have a Huion) but I would assume that you would at least need the driver software, regardless of whatever else was bundled with it.  You should be able to download it from their website - I would imagine there's bound to be updates since the original drivers that were supplied with it. 

I don't have one, but I've been researching them as I'm thinking of getting one.

As far as I can tell , if you have a reasonably up to date computer, it should just 'plug and play.' Some of the models come with bundled software for photo editing, or drawing, but all models should work right out of the box with PS.

You can download up to date drivers from the Wacom website, if needed.

Again, I can only speak of my experience with the Huion, but 'plug and play' caused me problems when I first installed it.  It only installed properly after I deleted all tablet related stuff in Windows, then installed the latest Huion drivers BEFORE connecting the tablet.

I have a chance to get this tablet for $250. It's a restock, so the seller does not know if the software has been registered already.

Do you have to have the software to use with photoshop, or only if you are getting into artwork?

I have a small Wacom tablet that came with software. Not sure if that would work with this one.

Anyone have this tablet? What do you think?

Jill

Had Wacom tablets for the last 12-13 years - built like tanks and last forever. Currently my main one is the Intuos 4 in a size small. Had larger size before (medium), but much prefer small (which isn't really small) for photo editing. Just got a new pen for it as the (Bengal) cat knew it was an important pen to me and therefore thought it might be a good steal (with a bit of chew).

Anyhow, you can just download drivers and associated software directly from Wacom. They update regularly. You need this software to control settings for everything from how hard/soft the nib feels, to quick buttons and the ring controller. Works brilliantly with PS and LR, as well as everything else. In PS you can control what is controlled by pen pressure etc., but drivers need to be installed for this to work.

When you get the tablet, just throw the mouse away to force yourself to use the pen/tablet - after a few days, perhaps a week you won't miss the mouse anymore. Haven't had a mouse at all since since starting using the tablet - everything is faster with pen and tablet.

Edited by Martin Carlsson
  • Love 1

Wacom Medium is ideal for photoshop, been using the same size for many years, can't work efficiently with the smaller sizes and the largest are really better suited for artwork - too much shoulder movement. I currently use the Intuous 5, had a 3 for years.

As mentioned, you can either plug and play or download the drivers from Wacom. IIRC, W7 onwards will plug and play and OSX should do likewise.

In Photoshop you can alter the tip dynamics for each tool you use, so you can have pen pressure in one tool but not another. I disagree about throwing away your mouse. I use only my mouse in Lightroom - never bother with the pen but only use the pen when in Photoshop. Tablets improve your efficiency and precision but also, the reason I started using them over a decade ago, they stop the onset of RSI/carpel tunnel. If you use PS a lot, they are almost a medical necessity.

A tablet, especially a Wacom or Cintiq, is the best piece of peripheral hardware you can buy IME. As Martin s=wrote, they are built like tanks - my old one looked like cr#p by the time I upgraded but it worked just as well as when it came out of the box.

I disagree about the size. Went from medium to small, never regretted it - doesn't reduce the precision the slightest or add anything useful (in my opinion), only how much more of your arm you need to move (which slows you down a bit).

Using a mouse nowadays (for me) is crap - much easier, faster and natural when you get used to the pen. Understandably, in the beginning one is lost and it all seems stupid, but persist and you'll be rewarded and one start to wonder how on earth you managed without one before. 

But to sum it up, for photoretouching a tablet is a necessity and Wacom is the best and well worth the money.

Edited by Martin Carlsson

I already have a small Wacom tablet which I use quite often. This one is a large tablet. I will certainly think on it and thanks for all the feedback. I don't have enough desk space to use the tablet day to day but do enjoy the pen over the mouse.

Jill

• 6 years later...

A non-display tablet will not convince me of digital art at all.

I have a XP-Pen Artist 12 (2nd Gen) screen drawing pad and so far I haven't faced any major issues. It is pretty affordable and I find the size to be perfect for me.

At this point in time XP-Pen and wacom reallly don't have much of a difference besides wacom have been the main man for much longer. Obviously having more experience in making tablets and all that, however XP-Pen tablets are great value for money.