We would need some clue as to where they were taken.  And if it's Nepal, it might be hard to come up with an answer.  (I've seen the moth, or something very similar to it, in Borneo, but I don't think I found a firm ID.)

Failing all else, you might have to go with: beetle; shield bug; small bee; moth; cricket.  Best not to guess.

Chris

F076MP isn't a hoverfly, it's some kind of bee, though not a honey bee. Hoverflies don't have the thin waist that wasps and bees do - the abdomen and thorax carry on the same width all the way down as a rule. 

I can't identify and of the species above but they are nice images. The last one looks like an immature bush cricket of some type. The first one could be a bombardier beetle - again, more that one species.

As a rule: hoverflies have a single pair of wings, bees and wasps have two, and hoverflies have short, stumpy antennae whereas bees and wasps have longer ones.  According to this, F076MP is a wasp or a bee (but probably a wasp)

Chris

F076MP isn't a hoverfly, it's some kind of bee, though not a honey bee. Hoverflies don't have the thin waist that wasps and bees do - the abdomen and thorax carry on the same width all the way down as a rule. 

I can't identify and of the species above but they are nice images. The last one looks like an immature bush cricket of some type. The first one could be a bombardier beetle - again, more that one species.

I'm not so sure about that. The abdomen of bees are usually quite hairy while this specimen's abdomen looks rather smooth like that of a hoverfly. Besides, many hoverflies are wasp mimics with a metathorax that shows a fine black band in the middle flanked by yellow thus mimicking a thin waist, especially when sitting on a yellow flower (see example here). I think that's exactly what we see in Suman's picture: a mimic of a thin waist (though hard to see. Suman could check this when looking at pixel level).

The way the bands are formed on the abdomen also reminds me more of a hoverfly than a bee or wasp. Notice especially the irregular one, second closest to the thorax, showing a slight protrusion towards the thorax (wasps show the protrusions pointing away from the thorax).

To be absolutely sure, you have to look for a spurious vein parallel to the fourth longitudinal wing vein. If you see that, you're dealing with a hoverfly and not a bee nor wasp.

..  I start to sound like a nerd, don't I?   :blink: 

Cheers,

Philippe (I always wanted to be a biology teacher  -_- )

at pixel level . it has one pair of wings. segmented body in three part; head, body and abdomen..very thin waist..from your description it looks like a wasp mimic..but it also very much looks like Asiatic honey bee too, they are found in Sounthern and Southeastern Asia (the photo's location match this)..so i think it is as you said in another comment Apis cerena. 

Learn some interesting things about metathoraxes, wasp mimicry and longitudinal wing veins.

thank you.

Archived