Canon EOS 5DS R

Full frame camera sensors have large pixels. If you do not take extra care of camera movement by using a tripod, mirror lock up and cable release as well as critical focus and best f stop your pixels will show softness at 100%. This gets worse as you go up in the pixel count with these 50 mpx cameras. i have had trouble with 5 and 6D canons with canon L lenses. CR and artifacts are also a problem as can dust. I have had better luck by downsizing to 4250 on the long side. Quite honestly with the prices we are getting now you would be better off shooting with a small walk around camera and give yourself a break. These cameras give quite acceptable results for most buyers using Alamy. If you dont like that then go with an aps-c camera which will be less frustrating when it comes to processing your images from hand held work.

I am also due for an update from Canon 5DII. I have decided to go for a mark III - just watching what happens to the prices.... I don't need the extra pixels and requirements for even better lenses. Would rather spend some money on a service on my 24-105L lens from 2007, which I like as a walk-around lens, but it will need some service soon (or a new one).

Full frame camera sensors have large pixels. If you do not take extra care of camera movement by using a tripod, mirror lock up and cable release as well as critical focus and best f stop your pixels will show softness at 100%. This gets worse as you go up in the pixel count with these 50 mpx cameras. i have had trouble with 5 and 6D canons with canon L lenses. CR and artifacts are also a problem as can dust. I have had better luck by downsizing to 4250 on the long side. Quite honestly with the prices we are getting now you would be better off shooting with a small walk around camera and give yourself a break. These cameras give quite acceptable results for most buyers using Alamy. If you dont like that then go with an aps-c camera which will be less frustrating when it comes to processing your images from hand held work.

I have no difficulties with focus/sharpness on my Canon 5DII and L-lenses. Most times I don't use a tripod, and when I do, I get away with focused (sharp) images without locking the mirror, cable release, etc. CA is easily removed. Dust can be a problem. It helps a lot if you don't change lenses everywhere and not too often (two cameras - though a 7D with the tele for the time being, which gives advantages and disadvantages, but that is another story).

Addict, I think your problems may have been workflow related or due to faulty equipment..

Niels

• 2 months later...

I have had no QC problems so far with the images I took with my 5DsR - but I always check at 100% before submitting. 

For the lenses I use the  f4/11-24 and Sigma prime lenses 35, 50 and 85 mm all f1.4 respectively.

I hardly ever use a tripod, but usually try to use exposure times of 3-4 times the focal length, ie 1/200 for the 50mm.

The old rule exp time = focal length does not really hold with this camera and resolution.  

Although I shoot raw+jpg - I only used the camera generated jpg's so far. 

Also I uploaded soft pictures  - but for artistic expression - and feared they may be rejected by QC, but were not, see example below. 

soft and accepted by QC: 

soft-focus-portrait-of-asian-woman-looki

Tack Sharp, same subject

portrait-of-food-stall-merchant-in-sisop

Archived