LR 6.1 and PSE 12 conflict.

Are others using both of the above to process their images, if so I hope you can help.

I process RAW image in LR 6.1 then export as 16 bit tiff. Both images look good in LR.

On opening tiff file in PSE 12 the image has taken on extreme luminance noise all over the image.

Yet on opening the raw in PSE 12 ACR it looks fine.

Any ideas on cause of this conflict?

Maybe PSE 12 is not now compatible with new LR 6.1?

I don't know.

Allan

I have opened 16 bit tiffs in PSE 12 in the past without problems. It just asks if you wish to convert image when making changes.

Will try again with 8 bit tiff though to see if this image works or not.

Allan

It seems you are exporting as a TIFF and then opening the file in PSE12. Have you tried simply editing the raw image in PSE12 direct from Lightroom (Photo Menu, Edit in)? There is an option in the Lightroom prefs (External Editing tab) to choose your external editor, file format, color space and bit depth. I presume the external editor will default to PSE12 if you don't have full PS. Also it might be worth seeing what happens if you open as a 16 bit PSD file if that is an option under prefs.

Just another thought. There doesn't seem to be much point in opening as 16 bit in PSE12 if you can't do any editing without having to convert to 8 bit,

HMmmmmm!  Tried an 8 bit tiff and it has the same luminance noise as the 16 bit tiff.

Do not see how it could have happened but it appears to be a bug in either LR6.1 or PSE 12. Been using PSE 12 for some time so suspect it might be LR causing the problem.

There is another anomaly in LR6.1. When I work on a RAW image it appears sharp. The converted tiff image, either 16 or 8 bit appears to be slightly fuzzy.

Anyone else seeing this?

Allan

Thanks for your thoughts MDM. I like to edit RAW in LR as it gives more functions to achieve a better image than PSE cut down RAW editor.

Allan

Thanks for your thoughts MDM. I like to edit RAW in LR as it gives more functions to achieve a better image than PSE cut down RAW editor.

Allan

Allan. I just meant that there seems to be no advantage to actually attempting to edit the image in PSE if it can only open as 16 bit but not allow any editing in 16 bit. I am all for  working as far as possible in 16 bit but, unless I am misunderstanding something here, it is not possible to edit in PSE as 16 bit.

What happens if you export from LR as 8 and 16 bit PSD and then open in PSE? Also as JPEG (8 bit only of course).

Sorry I must have misunderstood you in your earlier post MDM. Having exported from LR6.1 in both 8 bit and 16 bit tiff to PSE 12 I find I am looking at the same problem of luminance noise.

Yes there is no point in exporting 16 bit to PSE.

Not tried exporting PSD.

I still seem to have the problem of the other anomaly too, mentioned above, in that exported tiff in LR looks softer than the master RAW???

Allan

O.K. I have not found what the problem was, other than me! Must have been something I did in the RAW processing of that one image as I have redone it from scratch and everything seems to be OK now.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  Sorry folks.

Allan

Allan

There is in PSE 7 (and I suspect in many of the later versions). Many of the initial image adjustments (such as brightness, contrast, levels, saturation, luminance and feathered selections) etc. are all supported 16 bit mode in PSE 7. So after importing the image from LR into PSE I make localised adjustments to levels, contrast etc. Then I convert to 8 bit, clone out any dust spots (cloning doesn't work in 16 bit) and then save as JPEG for Alamy. 

I know I'm running an old version, but I'm sure more recent versions provide similar 16 bit support.

Allan

There is in PSE 7 (and I suspect in many of the later versions). Many of the initial image adjustments (such as brightness, contrast, levels, saturation, luminance and feathered selections) etc. are all supported 16 bit mode in PSE 7. So after importing the image from LR into PSE I make localised adjustments to levels, contrast etc. Then I convert to 8 bit, clone out any dust spots (cloning doesn't work in 16 bit) and then save as JPEG for Alamy. 

I know I'm running an old version, but I'm sure more recent versions provide similar 16 bit support.

Thank you for that information.

Allan

Archived