Dealing with Niagara Falls Mist

This came across my feed today:

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photo-of-the-day/niagara-falls-frozen/

One way to deal with Niagara Falls mist that wasn't mentioned: Wait until it freezes.  ^_^

-Jason

That's a really nice image.  I think the Falls froze for quite a while this past Winter due to their sub zero temperatures.  But not the time of year I wish to travel there!

This came across my feed today:

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photo-of-the-day/niagara-falls-frozen/

One way to deal with Niagara Falls mist that wasn't mentioned: Wait until it freezes.  ^_^

-Jason

That's a really nice image.  I think the Falls froze for quite a while this past Winter due to their sub zero temperatures.  But not the time of year I wish to travel there!

Yes, a great shot, but now I remember why I moved to balmy Vancouver.

The falls freeze to some extent pretty well every winter and the mist coats trees & rails with ice pleasingly. Some years it freezes a lot like last winter. Photo opportunity? well the trouble is, if the Globe & Mail decide to run a photo, it's got to be TODAY'S shot, that's how newspapers work so that's stock shots pretty well out the window. And if conditions are extreme, there is a very good chance there will be lots of stuff posted on twitter. Alamy news feed? a bit of a long shot!

So have a crack at it by all means but don't count on sales. I have some quite nice winter shots and I can only recall one sale, and that was long before the digital on-line age.

To return to the thread, the boats take the winter off, Maid of the Mist, Hornblower and barrels

Yes, some subjects just aren't worth photographing any longer, except for fun, of course, and there's nothing wrong with that.

On second thought, I'd forget the selfie/barrel idea. It has probably already been done, mist or no mist. B)

Yes, some subjects just aren't worth photographing any longer, except for fun, of course, and there's nothing wrong with that.

On second thought, I'd forget the selfie/barrel idea. It has probably already been done, mist or no mist. B)

Nope, only 10 images come up for the search "Niagara Falls barrel", 5 are archival, and 4 have nothing to do with going over the Falls in a barrel.  So it's an opportunity for sales!

Nope, only 10 images come up for the search "Niagara Falls barrel", 5 are archival, and 4 have nothing to do with going over the Falls in a barrel.  So it's an opportunity for sales!

You first. B)

Archived