Nikon D800E or D7100?

If one was starting from scratch, then the D750 is a very good alternative to the D800 family, but (in my opinion) trading in a D800 for a D750 would only be sensible  if one really wanted or needed some of the new features of the D750. The trade-in would cost £750-1000. The great thing about the D800 is that it can generally be used as a smaller megapixel camera if you downsize but you still have all the advantages of the large file size - incredible detail, cropability (very useful indeed) etc. I think some seriously erroneous myths have built up around the D800 series cameras - they are not hard to get good results from as long as you use good lenses and take care focusing.

Unforgiving because the resolution is high - finding that out with canon full frame - its hard to pass QC with hand held shots with telephoto - just a bit too soft even at good high shutter speeds - and depth of field is shallow which makes them appear more soft

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Nikon D810 which is a really great camera, and certainly a little different from the D800/D800E (although it doesn't appear that way on paper). Before that I was using my trusty old D200.

Yes, there's certainly a technical jump from one camera to the other, but the principals are still the same - just a few new things to get the head around.

You might want to take a serious look at the D750 which is the D810's little brother - it's a little easier on the head; 24MP, FX full frame, and around $800 USD less than it's big brother. I'd certainly consider one these as a second body to my D810... Of course, if you have DX lens - then there's extra cost to go FX.

Personally I feel you are comparing apples with pears.... and at no point can i see a mention of what type of photography, what lenses you have... what level of photographer you are ... i wonder how good your technique is... D8** requires top technique...

D750 is probably the best all-rounder that Nikon produce at the moment.....

Personally I feel you are comparing apples with pears.... and at no point can i see a mention of what type of photography, what lenses you have... what level of photographer you are ... i wonder how good your technique is... D8** requires top technique...

D750 is probably the best all-rounder that Nikon produce at the moment.....

Thanks Julie, you hit the nail right square on the head... fit the camera to who you are, what you're photographing, and your level of technique - once you've realised that, anything else is just chatter ;-)

If Nikon had released a D750 at the time they released the D800, I would very likely have gone for the 750. But I am so used to getting excellent results technically from the D800 series cameras (in part thanks to Alamy QC for a single early failure which got me on the right track with my technique) that I am very glad I went this way. It's hard to believe it's 3 years almost to the day since I got my first D800  - the camera I had always wanted really.

Some of my reasons for preferring a D800 to any other dslr are

1.  A choice of four image formats: FX, DX, 5:4, 1.2x.

2.  Ability to crop away half the image and still meet the minimum requirements of agencies (50mb)

3.  High dynamic range

4.  Safer night shooting of buildings with an AA filter on

5.  Isn't overpriced

Archived