Tropical Tree ID question

Impossible to make a 100% sure determination without close-up of the leaves.

A very, very wild guess: it looks from a distance like the African camelthorn tree, Vachellia erioloba (syn. Acacia erioloba). Nicaragua has a native tree of the same genus, the Vachellia cornigera (syn. Acacia cornigera) or Bullhorn Acacia.

But again, it's just a very wild guess ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, Phillipe. It definitely looks a lot like the African Camel Thorn tree that you mentioned. If so, I wonder how it got to Nicaragua. I'm checking out the Bullhorn Acacia as well, a more likely suspect. As you say, it may not be possible to identify this tree without looking at the leaves. I was more interested in photographing the man raking coffee beans, so I didn't ask about the tree, even though it caught my eye right away.

P.S. The Jicaro or Calabash tree is another possibility. They are common in Nicaragua.

Definitely a tree, John. Or a bush. A large green vegetable, maybe? Whatever it is, it seems to be reaching out for that guy with the wooden rake. Have you got any dogs you need to identify?

Sorry, I'm fresh out of dogs (small, large, black, spotted, etc.). Shall take your advice and stick with "tree" for this one, or "man with wooden rake being threatened by menacing-looking unknown tree."

Apparently the jicaro's lime green balls, which aren't actually fruit but some kind of woody growth, are visible at any time of year. So it's likely a different tree.

Apparently the jicaro's lime green balls, which aren't actually fruit but some kind of woody growth, are visible at any time of year. So it's likely a different tree.

I figured that might be the case. I've seen the lime green balls (calabashes) in other parts of Central America, where they are used to make handicrafts.

Thanks again for your help. Back to the drawing board...

Archived