Digimarc digital watermarking

Does anyone have any experience of, or would recommend digital watermarking?

I came across Digimarc recently, and the basic premise seems to be that you can insert a watermark which can only be read by software (Photoshop for example), and so can't be easily removed so that you can prove that an image on the web is yours.  Digimarc charge $49/year for this.

For $99/year they will, in addition, crawl the web looking for images with your watermark embedded and will report any findings back to you.  You can then decide whether or not it is an infringement or legitamate use and take action accordingly.  I guess they would only need to find one infringement for it to pay for itself. 

I'd venture that you don't need it in the UK now we have the small claims track. None of my infringers has ever tried to deny an image is mine- there is always other evidence to go by apart from the image itself were you to need it.

The service where they will trawl for images carrying their embedded watermark is better than tineye etc I believe . . . however, last time I checked this out, depending on the degree of robustness of the watermark, there was some image degradation--whether or not that would be an issue would probably depend on image use.

I decided many moons ago against it, although I did play around for a while with the free trial on offer at the time.

dd

Archived