Alamy blog - Are there too many stock photos?

Alamy

We’re bombarded with facts about photos and the increasing numbers taken and shared. In fact in 2014 the number of photos taken exceeded 1 trillion, so now we’ve exceeded a number we can sort of comprehend isn’t it time to realise it’s not slowing down and not just live with it but rejoice in it?

Read more...

Common views and other similar images are why I am thinking hard about what niche I could offer for my stock photography. For my target income it does not need to be very large. As John suggests, buyers too are presumably bored with the masses of ordinary and everyday images on offer.

For many subjects one is often competing agaainst 100s, even 1000s, of similar images and minor variations. You can't build a business on the basis of "me too". As KM says access is one key to create a more individual portfolio, creativity and imagination another. If the image is easy to produce (technically, imagination, location or access) then there are probably dozens of similars. It is why pictures of the Himalayas, once a rich vein for serious trekkers, are now two a penny - there are now organised package tours to Everest Base Camp and higher.

Stock is no longer a lazy photographers route to richers, or indeed any income at all.

First words that come to mind are: Stephen Fry plastic coffee stirrers :D

wink, wink, nudge, nudge  B)

Cheers,

Philippe 

Had to Google that one...

Same here.

Of all the photographers that have contributed to Alamy I wonder what percentage are still active. They may have uploaded a 'few' images to test the water but either moved elsewhere or given up when things didn't work out as expected. I almost count myself in this category but I have been here long enough now to know better and recently started to do something about it because I now have the time to do so.

First words that come to mind are: Stephen Fry plastic coffee stirrers :D

wink, wink, nudge, nudge  B)

Cheers,

Philippe 

Had to Google that one...

Same here.

Of all the photographers that have contributed to Alamy I wonder what percentage are still active. They may have uploaded a 'few' images to test the water but either moved elsewhere or given up when things didn't work out as expected. I almost count myself in this category but I have been here long enough now to know better and recently started to do something about it because I now have the time to do so.

Hard to say, but I imagine there is a fairly high attrition rate. It's tough to stay motivated if you aren't making any sales.

Archived