I got this sale today:

Print, print and digital version, or standalone digital plus archive. UK, Worldwide and in Foreign Languages. Images can be sublicensed to international publishers and re-edited into bookazine format in the context of the original article use only; Duration:1 month

It was a direct sale by Alamy. Has anyone else had this sublicensing thingy appear in their sales descriptions yet? I find it well dodgy. 

Oh, an in case anyone wonders. The images only sold for US-$ 44.40 to a UK magazine. :-(

Surely it's just that they want to be able to sell the article as a whole to other magazines?  I can see that you may not like the price but the principle makes sense to me.  News related, I presume, and only for a month... 

I got this sale today:

Print, print and digital version, or standalone digital plus archive. UK, Worldwide and in Foreign Languages. Images can be sublicensed to international publishers and re-edited into bookazine format in the context of the original article use only; Duration:1 month

It was a direct sale by Alamy. Has anyone else had this sublicensing thingy appear in their sales descriptions yet? I find it well dodgy. 

Oh, an in case anyone wonders. The images only sold for US-$ 44.40 to a UK magazine. :-(

My concern would be sub-licensing to the crowd and seeing the image (with a bit of the original article) all over piterest, facebook, blogs, etc, all within the rights granted by Alamy.

GI

Surely it's just that they want to be able to sell the article as a whole to other magazines?  I can see that you may not like the price but the principle makes sense to me.  News related, I presume, and only for a month... 

... without paying the writer(s) and photographer(s) anything for secondary use. A sign of the times, unfortunately.

Archived