Specific restrictions question

Hi there, can anyone tell me if it's possible to set restrictions on my photos so that they are not sold to hunting publications? I am mostly going to be uploading nature photos to Alamy but I really don't want to see any of my wildlife photos end up on the cover of, or in, a hunting publication.

I have had a look at the restrictions, but I couldn't find anything that specific, the closest I found was sporting activities.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Dee

No.

If you put your pictures with an agency, they decide who to sell to, not you, in general. Restrictions are put in place to avoid contractual conflicts, not to satisfy personal whims.

Personally, I put my  images here to be licensed for any and all lawful purposes and I expect Alamy to market them accordingly. If you have an axe to grind, Alamy isn't the place for it.

Thank you so much for that insightful response, I obviously misunderstood this part of the agreement when I signed up..

1.3 Under this contract (subject to the restrictions stated in the contract) you have the right to:

• 1.3.1 Control country, usage, media type and industry in which Images are available for use by Customers for Rights Managed Images but not for Royalty Free images or Novel Use Licences, for all Images except video clips.

Obviously you did.

'Media type' refers to category- book, poster, website, magazine, and so on. There's no mention of being able to pick and choose which subject you do or don't want to illustrate.

In any case there's no requirement to specify the subject in the pricing calculator, so it's quite likely Alamy wouldn't even know which particular magazine your image was appearing in. It's not a stipulation you can make here.

There may be an agency somewhere that can meet your peculiar requirements but as far as Alamy is concerned you appear to have two options- accept the contract or don't submit here.

Obviously you did.

'Media type' refers to category- book, poster, website, magazine, and so on. There's no mention of being able to pick and choose which subject you do or don't want to illustrate.

In any case there's no requirement to specify the subject in the pricing calculator, so it's quite likely Alamy wouldn't even know which particular magazine your image was appearing in. It's not a stipulation you can make here.

There may be an agency somewhere that can meet your peculiar requirements but as far as Alamy is concerned you appear to have two options- accept the contract or don't submit here.

True, but:

from a discussion here on something similar:

[There's] Sensitive issues:

Alcohol

Arms & Weaponry

Chatlines

Crime

Dating agencies

Dysfunctional family matters

Gambling

Physical/mental abuse

Physical/mental ailments or disabilities

Politics

Poverty/homelessness

Religion/Race

Sexual preferences

Sexual products & issues

Substance abuse

Tobacco

Vivisection

War & Conflict

The solution that was proposed in that thread: put your objection in the description field AND contact Member Service about your problem.

wim

Sensitive issues might just about suit you, but if you put lots of restrictions, chances are clients will just move on to someone else. Take a look at the list of restrictions under any of The National Trust images on Alamy. It's hard to figure out how any of their images can be licensed for ANY use.

Mark Dunn's take is more realistic but perhaps not what you want to hear. Alamy attitudes do lean distinctly in the ethical direction.

Thank you Wiskerke for actually providing a very helpful and non-flaming answer. I had searched the forum but not found what I was looking for, so thank you for pointing me to that previous discussion. I will take another look at the sensitive issues.

Robert, thank you also for your thoughtful input. I have no intention of drowning my photos under restrictions, I do want to sell them afterall, just not at the expense of my own ethics (if possible) :-)

Archived