I'm a newbie to stock photography, so please excuse the naivety of this question.

Having read into the differences between rights managed, and royalty free images I'd thought it best to set my default licence to rights managed.  I happened to be in a dialogue with a really helpful lady at Alamy member services who mentioned as I had the relevant releases for a particular image that RF might be the best option.

What are your experiences of royalty free v rights managed?  Do you usually get the volume of RF sales on Alamy to justify the lower prices?  I'm now really confused.  I have another 18 images awaiting key-wording etc, and am not sure what to do with them licence wise.  I have far more images that I'll be uploading over the next few days.  I have the property release forms for these images.

Any advice would be welcome.

For what it's worth, I have 143 out of 5136 images that are RF (almost 3%).

My philosophy is that if the image can be easily replicated then it is RF, otherwise RM. Obviously if people are involved then you need model releases if you want those images as RF, otherwise they will be RM.

John.

Thank you all for your answers.  

I guess you have to consider who the final buyer of the image might be.  For example editorial, greetings/post card buyers or calendar buyers wouldn't be buying Royalty free - although a generic item for an advertising campaign, or website would be RF?  

Almost all my sales are editorial and I don't have releases, so I stick mainly with RM, except for the occasional generic shot. Also, many Alamy RM sales have such flexible terms that they often don't differ much from RF. Something else to keep in mind is that it is easier to keep track of RM usages.

Almost all my sales are editorial and I don't have releases, so I stick mainly with RM, except for the occasional generic shot. Also, many Alamy RM sales have such flexible terms that they often don't differ much from RF. Something else to keep in mind is that it is easier to keep track of RM usages.

In the words of Cameron, "Just to be clear". I believe john means by "keeping track of RM usages" he is referring to finding stolen or unlicensed use of images.

Allan

In the words of Cameron, "Just to be clear". I believe john means by "keeping track of RM usages" he is referring to finding stolen or unlicensed use of images.

Allan

Yes, but I was also thinking of where and when images get published legitimately. RF uses can be very difficult to track done (or so I've heard) -- e.g. for submitting DACs claims and the like . 

Archived