Technophobe dropbox question

Feel a little silly asking, it may be obvious, but I just want to check. If I send my images to dropbox do they save them as original size so can I delete from whatever device they were on i.e. Phone, ipad? I have tried looking on the dropbox info but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks

I have used Dropbox to send and receive images and believe that they are stored full size - checking my dropbox folder against that on my hard drive they are the same.

Not sure that I would want to trust them with all of my photos however.

I have used Dropbox to send and receive images and believe that they are stored full size - checking my dropbox folder against that on my hard drive they are the same.

Not sure that I would want to trust them with all of my photos however.

I agree. I use it for temporary storage, or to transfer images between devices.

Absolutely agree temporary storage only, but just wanted to ensure I could send to dropbox, remove from my device and only bring back when need to edit or whatever, prior to permanent saving on disk and hard drive. I was thinking purely of my stockimo possibles. I seem to have ended up with lots of copies or variables with the whole emailing from android to ipad then pc ! Plus I discovered gmail will not email bigger than 5mb from my ipad. Thank you both.

You can set dropbox to automatically upload phone camera images to dropbox as a backup.  I set mine to only do so on wifi only.  Its managed through Dropbox's Carousel app, at least it is on an iPhone.  In Carousel, there is also a 'free up iPhone space' option which does exactly what you are contemplating, i.e. removing photos from phone after uploading.  Not sure if same option is in Android.  My understanding is that they are full res.  In fact, I started using Dropbox/Android after reading somewhere that you should not use iCloud's photo stream (in the case of Apple) because, while the full res version is uploaded, a lower res version is synced to all connected devices.  

Mind you, I still seem to have numerous duplicates of iPhone photos by the time they go in and out of the cloud, computer, phone, various apps....still trying to figure out how to minimise that....

Feel a little silly asking, it may be obvious, but I just want to check. If I send my images to dropbox do they save them as original size so can I delete from whatever device they were on i.e. Phone, ipad? I have tried looking on the dropbox info but can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Thanks

They are the size you upload. I use dropbox for some client image delivery where ftp/sftp is not possible. It's a great app and I've never had a problem with it. Certainly wouldn't use the cloud for any storage - had problems in the past.

Archived