What Am I Doing Wrong In Lightroom?

I joined CC a couple of months ago so figure I should use Lightroom. I added the export for Zenfolio plugin to make uploading easier. And it is.

Here is my problem,

When I import photos into the Library to export this is how they come in - about 3 stops overexposed:

overexposed-lighthouse.jpg

This is what this photo really looks like:

lighthouse-at-the-end-of-the-pier-on-a-f

Do I have some preset set somewhere I don't know about?

Jill

As you are aware, Jill presets can be applied in import, have you checked the 'develop settings' in the 'apply during import' box in the import module. Mine is set at 'none.'

ann

It's a bit difficult to guess what's wrong without further information but If you go into the Develop module, is the exposure slider (or similar) at zero or far to the right? If so you may have inadvertently reset the defaults for your camera. I presume you are shooting raw.  You can correct this easily by setting all the sliders etc to what you want, then hold down the alt or option key and hit the reset button on the far lower right. This will reset your default (depending on what you have chosen under Prefs-Presets for defaults.

If it is a prefs problem, I think you could actually correct this under Preferences by hitting Reset all default develop settings but you may not want to do that if you are using more than one camera or have set ISO-specific defaults. If it's not any of these, then it may be something to do with the Zenfolio plugin which I am not familiar with.

Really I think the best way to get your images into Lightroom is to simply copy your images directly to a folder on your hard drive using a card reader and just import them from there. I don't know why a separate plugin is required.

It's a bit difficult to guess what's wrong without further information but If you go into the Develop module, is the exposure slider (or similar) at zero or far to the right? If so you may have inadvertently reset the defaults for your camera. I presume you are shooting raw.  You can correct this easily by setting all the sliders etc to what you want, then hold down the alt or option key and hit the reset button on the far lower right. This will reset your default (depending on what you have chosen under Prefs-Presets for defaults.

If it is a prefs problem, I think you could actually correct this under Preferences by hitting Reset all default develop settings but you may not want to do that if you are using more than one camera or have set ISO-specific defaults. If it's not any of these, then it may be something to do with the Zenfolio plugin which I am not familiar with.

Really I think the best way to get your images into Lightroom is to simply copy your images directly to a folder on your hard drive using a card reader and just import them from there. I don't know why a separate plugin is required.

These images are jpgs I want to upload to my Zenfolio account from my hard drive, not my camera. 

But I found a +50 brightness preset that is a default that seems to be the problem, even though the develop presets are set to "none".

Hopefully this is the issue.

Jill

These images are jpgs I want to upload to my Zenfolio account from my hard drive, not my camera. 

But I found a +50 brightness preset that is a default that seems to be the problem, even though the develop presets are set to "none".

Jill

OK I've been doing a bit of experimenting and I've learned something. I think if you reset your develop preferences by selecting a JPEG image, setting the brightness setting to 0, holding down alt or option and clicking Set Default, then it should work for subsequent imports. I don't use Lightroom to process JPEGS but my guess is that you have inadvertently set a default brightness for JPEG images and it is adding this on import. Lightroom and ACR use default develop settings for raw files based on your camera model. This is irrespective of any presets one may use on import. I think with JPEGS it should not apply anything unless you have accidentally set it to do so and then it does so for all JPEGS, irrespective of camera model it seems.

It also sounds like you are using an older process in Lightroom  (2003 or 2010 rather than the newer 2012 - this is under Camera Calibration) as there is no Brightness control in the 2012 Process. Are you doing this for any particular reason? The 2012 Process is generally far better (for raw images in any case).  

Jill

OK I've been doing a bit of experimenting and I've learned something. I think if you reset your develop preferences by selecting a JPEG image, setting the brightness setting to 0, holding down alt or option and clicking Set Default, then it should work for subsequent imports. I don't use Lightroom to process JPEGS but my guess is that you have inadvertently set a default brightness for JPEG images and it is adding this on import. Lightroom and ACR use default develop settings for raw files based on your camera model. This is irrespective of any presets one may use on import. I think with JPEGS it should not apply anything unless you have accidentally set it to do so and then it does so for all JPEGS, irrespective of camera model it seems.

It also sounds like you are using an older process in Lightroom  (2003 or 2010 rather than the newer 2012 - this is under Camera Calibration) as there is no Brightness control in the 2012 Process. Are you doing this for any particular reason? The 2012 Process is generally far better (for raw images in any case).  

I wasn't using Lightroom for any processing (I do all my processing in ACR in PS). I was simply looking for an easier way to upload already processed photos to Zenfolio. I had never used Lightroom before, but was strictly using it as I could upload using a plugin from Adobe via ftp which is much faster than the Zenfolio web upload. I did't put in the preset, it was already there in the program when I downloaded it from Adobe.

Getting rid of that preset seems to have fixed my problem

Jill

I'm slightly confused as I don't know how you can delete a pre-existing preset in Lightroom and why it would have any effect on importing JPEGS but I did learn something about Lightroom checking this out so all is well.

I'm slightly confused as I don't know how you can delete a pre-existing preset in Lightroom and why it would have any effect on importing JPEGS but I did learn something about Lightroom checking this out so all is well.

I didn't delete it, just turned it off.

Jill

Archived