Rights managed vs Royalty Free

New to  Alamy, and getting ready to submit my first photos. I have done a lot of research about this topic but still no sure. The best I have come up with is if an image is unique, RM. Less than unique, RF. I am shooting mostly nature and things that don't require  a release. This past month I have gotten some really good whitetail deer shots, a few magazine cover quality I think. Should I list my best stuff as RM, or do all RF? Does Alamy ever help with this decision? I have next to no experience in this realm. If I list some as RM can I eventually move them to RF if they don't sell? Trying to get this right before I submit. Thanx,

If you believe a buyer should pay different prices for different usages, as well if they want it again in the future, then RM

If you believe that the local church should pay the same price for a local advertisement as Google for a world-wide marketing campaign then RF.

That is a very profound answer Martin, I like it. My first submission was accepted, so now I have to choose. Another question here is, and I hate to admit this, I found something in one of the submitted and accepted photos I don't like, minor but an annoyance to me. What is the procedure for correcting this photo? Delete and resubmit? It is the highlight in the eye of a deer, too bright when viewed at a larger size. I had toned it down, now not sure if it wasn't enough or it didn't get saved. They are not up for viewing yet. Very proud and happy to be accepted by Alamy.

"That is a very profound answer Martin, I like it. My first submission was accepted, so now I have to choose. Another question here is, and I hate to admit this, I found something in one of the submitted and accepted photos I don't like, minor but an annoyance to me. What is the procedure for correcting this photo? Delete and resubmit? It is the highlight in the eye of a deer, too bright when viewed at a larger size. I had toned it down, now not sure if it wasn't enough or it didn't get saved. They are not up for viewing yet. Very proud and happy to be accepted by Alamy."

If the photo hasn't gone on sale you can delete it in 'measures'.

If it has gone on sale all you can do is mark it for deletion, but it will remain on sale for a further 6 months before it is removed.

John.

Thanx, Stokie. I haven't keyworded or done anything yet, so I may do that. It only looks bothersome when blown up to larger sizes. Adding: Looked at it with fresh eyes this morning, It only looks bothersome viewed at 100% on my small computer screen. I think I did get it right, just prone to being too self critical and second guessing myself.

That is a very profound answer Martin, I like it. My first submission was accepted, so now I have to choose. Another question here is, and I hate to admit this, I found something in one of the submitted and accepted photos I don't like, minor but an annoyance to me. What is the procedure for correcting this photo? Delete and resubmit? It is the highlight in the eye of a deer, too bright when viewed at a larger size. I had toned it down, now not sure if it wasn't enough or it didn't get saved. They are not up for viewing yet. Very proud and happy to be accepted by Alamy.

Martin's answer is indeed profound . . . but for practical purposes, you need to read this (if you haven't already) to see Alamy's take on it all:

dd

Thanx Dusty. I have read that several times. I goy my 4 set up and they are officially for sale, tho not sure if they are searchable yet. Two I went RM with, the other 2 RF because I made the mistake of listing those elsewhere as RF already, which is a bummer because they are definitely RM quality. I've taken a lot of deer shots this fall, so I have several more pretty good ones to put up. I looked at recent uploads and I see a bunch of average lookers ( I have plenty of those!!) have been uploaded as RF, many with a very similar look, which I thought was frowned upon, it just plugs up the search catalogue I would think. So some of my lesser shots will go as RF I guess, but then I think do I really want to show inferior stuff? for the slight chance of selling a few??? From what limited experience I have had with RF ( a dozen images at one lesser agency and  none until now with RM) junk doesn't sell, even at the lesser agencies. An image seems to have to have some composure and eye appeal plus the technicals, at least for the type of stuff I shoot anyway. One thing that did surprise me was that once I selected RM, I could not undo it. Fortunately I paid attention and got it right. I did do that last in the process.

Despite growing up in a republic, I really haven't much interest in submitting royalty-free images. However I've neglected to label my images as "editorial only" — although if I'd more carefully read the link Dusty Dingo posted I'd have done that. It would be nice if there were a way to do that in bulk rather than one by one. When I drag them to the bottom of the Manage Images window, there's a message that any change will erase the whole keyword shebang.

That appears to work until the next time I open the image and the change has vanished. This applies whether I do it one by one or in bulk by dragging several to the bottom of the page.

If a photo is used commercially and the photographer has indicated that there are people in it for whom there are no releases, does that get you off the hook?

Archived