If you're including upgrades, what are they? Any concerns about the glossy monitor?

Both my old MacPro and my older LaCie monitor need to be replaced, and getting new MacPro, plus 27" monitor with decent color calibration would be enormously expensive.

I need computer mainly for 64 bit Photoshop, with plugins such as OnOne, Nik...

Concerns? No not really from me at this point Ann.

Thought about a MacPro. Use an older 2008 MacPro at the moment with a 30 inch Apple Cinema display. The new MacPro is a great piece of kit but I would not get anywhere near to using it to it's full capabilities. The video cards alone are way out of my league. It's really been designed for heavy duty stuff like making animation films etc.

The iMac with the Retina screen should be fine in terms of any glossiness providing it's not facing a window. Just a bit disappointed they didn't do a 30 inch Retina iMac.

I am going over to the Apple Store in Exeter to check the iMac out on Tuesday probably. If I can get the audio system to work without spending a fortune on a new audio interface I will order one and load it up with 32 GBs of ram, go for the Flash Drive internally, and look at an external SSD multi dock. Probably a Black Magic. Not sure yet. Should be good for photographers.

@GervaisM  @TimG

I'd really appreciate any updates you have time to share in coming days/week.

I was at our area's Apple store this past week and spoke at length to staffer, especially about MacPro (due to my concerns about glare of glossy screen). But the more I think about the cost, the more I want to look into the iMac with Retina screen & what upgrades would be wise for my usage.

Concerns? No not really from me at this point Ann.

Thought about a MacPro. Use an older 2008 MacPro at the moment with a 30 inch Apple Cinema display. The new MacPro is a great piece of kit but I would not get anywhere near to using it to it's full capabilities. The video cards alone are way out of my league. It's really been designed for heavy duty stuff like making animation films etc.

The iMac with the Retina screen should be fine in terms of any glossiness providing it's not facing a window. Just a bit disappointed they didn't do a 30 inch Retina iMac.

I am going over to the Apple Store in Exeter to check the iMac out on Tuesday probably. If I can get the audio system to work without spending a fortune on a new audio interface I will order one and load it up with 32 GBs of ram, go for the Flash Drive internally, and look at an external SSD multi dock. Probably a Black Magic. Not sure yet. Should be good for photographers.

Sure thing.

What you need to understand about the new MacPros is they are really heavyweight in computing power and the facility amongst other things of taking 64 gigs of ram. They're designed to do work that requires very large CPU power with no bottlenecks etc. For everyday photographic conditions and even very large musical templates, composing and playback, most of the time they barely break sweat. For most of us it's overkill. You could run a small country with a MacPro.

An i7 iMac 4 Ghz is easily powerful enough with 32 gigs of ram to do just about anything photographically and many people I know can score a movie on one for example. A 4 Ghz will hardly ever break sweat IMO, especially with an internal SSD and external SSD array as previously mentioned.

There is a rumour that by around December there will be new chipsets so it may be worth waiting.

just one word of warning regarding the screen. I use the macbook pro with retina screen and it makes the images look really good. The images also look a lot sharper on the retina screen when compared to an ordinary screen. I was caught out this year with a SoLD fail here and when I checked it on my Macbook Pro it looked fine but on my iMac with an ordinary screen it did look a bit soft.

The question is, are we seeing a true sharpness on the Retina screen and a failing in standard screens to show the true level of detail?!? I have a gut feeling we are as it resembles how the image looks when printed but I guess someone with more knowledge on this subject maybe able to answer this better!

It's a good and interesting point Duncan, but I wouldn't let that bother me. That's because somewhere down the road, all monitors will be Retina screens. 5K will go to 6K and so on.

Exactly. Hopefully Alamy will be investing in them too :-) It will probably take 2+ years before we see high numbers of users though, until then, it's handy to check images out on a lower resolution monitor as well.

Sure thing Duncan. I mean, you have been able to get 4K monitor/displays for a while for PC's - sorry did I just say PC :) - and the iMac is just another notch up to 5K. Yes, good point there about Alamy and indeed all the rest of the publishers. Has to happen, otherwise certain unwanted issues could ensue.

I'm certainly no expert on this but I get the impression that these 4K and so on screens are aimed more at the video market. A stills photographer  is probably seekingaccurate colour rendition above all, preferably with a non-glossy screen and maybe a built-in calibrator (Eizo for example) rather than the high gloss of the retina screens. I can't image trying to read a web document on a 4K screen at normal size. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

I have last years top model and the only difference is the screen, 0.1 Ghz+, and that they have added the 1TB Fusion drive as standard. It's an AMD graphics card instead of Intel in  last years. £2000? though? I mean c'mon. Seems everything pro level these days starts at £2000 lol. 

Update for anyone interested.

I went over to the Apple Store today and checked out the new iMac 5K 27 inch screen. Running Yosemite obviously. Took me a few minutes to get my head round Yosemite but very elegant OS. 4 Ghz machine. Took it through as many apps as I could in the shop as it were, and absolutely loved it. Think it was loaded with just 8 gigs of ram. No problems. Ran a pretty big template on one application that was of particular interest to me.

Went through the photos on iPhoto to see what the score was via the 5K screen. Yes, very good. Not startling or anything, but what I did appreciate was being to able to read print a lot easier without resorting to my computer spectacles. No glare at all. But I wouldn't want to have it facing a window. Wish it had one or two more Thunderbolt inputs and a 30 inch screen but hey!

Will I buy one!?

Yes almost certainly. But not until a few months have passed because of the possibility of a new chipset that may or may not happen from Apple.

All in all, very impressed at this point.

Archived