Downsizing scans

Just wondering, is it a wise idea to downsize scans these days when submitting them to Alamy?

I uploaded at least 1500 35mm scans to Alamy during 2008-2009 without a single QC failure at full resolution (54 MB files, uncompressed). They continue to sell well, and I'm now pondering adding a few more treasures (hopefully) from my files. However, QC has significantly changed since then; and although I'm currently in the ethereal "Top 500," I am obviously still on the dreaded sin bin list. I'm thinking of downsizing the scans to about 30 MB. Is that a good plan?

If you use the archival route historical,or less rigorous, criteria appear to apply. There may be a downside as the word archival appears alongside your image. Not sure what the cutoff date is to qualify, my application was for circa 1970s shots. I've sold a few from that period.

If you use the archival route historical,or less rigorous, criteria appear to apply. There may be a downside as the word archival appears alongside your image. Not sure what the cutoff date is to qualify, my application was for circa 1970s shots. I've sold a few from that period.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bryan. I think that most of my scans are too recent for the archival route (I shot film until 2006). I'll look into it, though.

John,

I downsized two files I sent recently. One was from 4x5 film; the long side was 10,850 pixels, changed to 5,180. The other one was 35mm film; long side 5782 reduced to 4,000 pixels. Both times I used Bicubic Sharper in PS Elements 8. I thought I had done others, but this is all lately. I've dusted off my scanner and will be doing a lot more as time allows, since my film images are mostly timeless landscapes and would reqiure expensive travel to shoot digital. Might get to travel in retirement, but not soon.

Edit: to fix #s         2nd Edit: Oops!, I never sent the 35mm scan to Alamy. The grain in the sky was coarse enough that I got worried. Sent it to PhotoShelter for a customer to review. It's filename is Naples25 at my website.

John,

I downsized two files I sent recently. One was from 4x5 film; the long side was 10,850 pixels, changed to 5,180. The other one was 35mm film; long side 5782 reduced to 4,000 pixels. Both times I used Bicubic Sharper in PS Elements 8. I thought I had done others, but this is all lately. I've dusted off my scanner and will be doing a lot more as time allows, since my film images are mostly timeless landscapes and would reqiure expensive travel to shoot digital. Might get to travel in retirement, but not soon.

Edit: to fix #s

Thanks, Kevin. I'm thinking that downsizing might be a good idea. Alamy is perhaps not quite as eager to accept scans as they were 5-6 years ago when I was submitting them on a regular basis.

Archived