Back in the Fog Again

I am again finding myself addicted to early morning fog shots.

I have one where there are water dropets on leaves but that area is so dark, that I am afraid Alamy will think they are dust spots. Your opinions please.

First, the full shot.

disc-fog-spots-full.jpg

The 100% crop area:

disc-fog-droplets.jpg

Would I be wise to simply PS these out?

Jill

Dust spots are always darker, not lighter, so they're obviously not dust . . . however, the large spot at around 1 o'clock from the centre of the sun sure looks like a dust spot.

I have no experience of the pros and cons of submitting images taken of the sun, directly and unobstructed--I wouldn't submit purely because it's not my practise to take such images, However, I'd look very closely at the banding around the sun--that would worry me more than the highlights on the plants.

dd

You have some nice fog images. I'm too new to know if the water droplets would be a problem but on my monitor there seems to be a dust spot at the top right of the sun.

Tony

I agree that there appears to be a dust spot near the sun.

It looks sharp enough to me, though, so if the dust spots are cleared up I would imagine it would pass IMHO.

Might I suggest come caution?

For a start, there is absolutely no way "sharpness" can be determined at such a small representation of the image, and assuming otherwise is a ticket to a guided tour of the path to QC failure. And the OP was not asking about sharpness, they were asking about the water droplets being confused with dust.

Secondly, I'm sure "sharpness" isn't the only problem such images may present. Severe banding, as I mention above, is a distinct possibility for failure too. How much is present could only be determined accurately by looking at a 100% crop.

dd

It looks sharp enough to me, though, so if the dust spots are cleared up I would imagine it would pass IMHO.

For a start, there is absolutely no way "sharpness" can be determined at such a small representation of the image, and assuming otherwise is a ticket to a guided tour of the path to QC failure. And the OP was not asking about sharpness, they were asking about the water droplets being confused with dust.

Secondly, I'm sure "sharpness" isn't the only problem such images may present. Severe banding, as I mention above, is a distinct possibility for failure too. How much is present could only be determined accurately by looking at a 100% crop.

dd

There is no banding in the 100% full image. The sample above is a lower grade jpg. I removed the dust spot and have submitted, leaving the water droplets. I had no issue with QC on my last fog images, so I don't see why these (I have a bunch) should not pass as well. Only the water droplets bothered me, but I think QC will realize they are part of the image.

Jill

dd

There is no banding in the 100% full image. The sample above is a lower grade jpg. I removed the dust spot and have submitted, leaving the water droplets. I had no issue with QC on my last fog images, so I don't see why these (I have a bunch) should not pass as well. Only the water droplets bothered me, but I think QC will realize they are part of the image.

Jill

:-) hence my point re: not judging on less than 100% :-)

As I said above, QC will not mistake the droplets for dust as dust is always darker, not lighter.

Good luck with the submission :-)

dd

dd

Quite correct.

When I said "looks sharp enough to me" I meant, but should have said, looks sharp on the view I am looking at. Your other points are equally valid.

I should take more time.

Archived