The joke is on me

Well, you know,  its about a Gazillion million files out there flying around on the Internet and millions added every week. Its like spitting in the Pacific Ocean.

True, I consider it a minor miracle when one of my images is zoomed, and a major one if it actually leases. B)

And my cleared balance hasn't moved for a very long time. Slow to pay.

Takes up to 90 days usually. Alamy says nothing has changed in this department.

More contributors, more clients, more sales, etc. probably does slow things down a bit, I would think.

I guess it's a matter of who is buying what where. Personally, I find that my images do better on Alamy then anywhere else that I've tried. It's a matter of finding out which outlets work best for you, at least that's what I've discovered.

There are images I have that sell here and wouldn't be accepted anywhere else. Alamy may have it's faults but it is still a worthy outlet and has consistently returned a few hundred $ each month for the most of this year. So while it isn't returning anywhere near my smaller micro port, combined it they work well together!

Lack of sales on Alamy. Two things to consider:

1. Number of pictures on sale

2. Content

Two points that are worthy of honest consideration. In the early days of 2006, 2007, 2008, months and months of no sales. 2010, one sale only!

At this point I had to look hard at what I was doing and decided that these two points were the stumbling blocks. Once addressed, sales have climbed steadily to a point where I am happy. Logically, if I keep doing what I am doing, they will climb still further.

Alamy are more than capable of selling contributors pictures, as long as they have the pictures that serve their market. Over the years I have seen many people blame Alamy for their lack of sales, when in fact, those contributors have not taken note of Alamy's traditional market, and have failed to adjust their submissions accordingly.

Addict, this is not meant as a criticism but as a suggestion that you might want to consider. I have shared your frustration and understand what you are saying. A little attention to detail may make your stay at Alamy a little less frustrating and hopefully, a bit more profitable.

Moby Dick Chapter 49 

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

Brilliant!  and...

“This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.”

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Moby Dick Chapter 49 

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

wrong post. sorry.

I guess it's a matter of who is buying what where. Personally, I find that my images do better on Alamy then anywhere else that I've tried. It's a matter of finding out which outlets work best for you, at least that's what I've discovered.

There are images I have that sell here and wouldn't be accepted anywhere else. Alamy may have it's faults but it is still a worthy outlet and has consistently returned a few hundred $ each month for the most of this year. So while it isn't returning anywhere near my smaller micro port, combined it they work well together!

Hi Duncan!   you're right, in the midst of all this micro pharaphernalia, Alamy sure is worthwhile. I could kick myself in the ass for deleting almost 1000 images two years back!  anyways I'm here now.

Hi Duncan!   you're right, in the midst of all this micro pharaphernalia, Alamy sure is worthwhile. I could kick myself in the ass for deleting almost 1000 images two years back!  anyways I'm here now.

Yeah, I add my Micro stuff here but as a catch all but I wouldn't add what I have here to micro (even if it were RF).... before long I'll be back splitting my time 50/50 between my RM and RF port.... I had a lot of work to do to catch in terms of specific micro material but that's getting there now.

I find I do more "Photography" when shooting RM and more studio/Photoshopping for Micro.... I like both but I feel a photography phase coming on before too long :-)

And my cleared balance hasn't moved for a very long time. Slow to pay.

Takes up to 90 days usually. Alamy says nothing has changed in this department.

More contributors, more clients, more sales, etc. probably does slow things down a bit, I would think.

By way of an update, I noticed today that a bunch of my sales from early July just cleared. That's pretty speedy, I must say.

Yeah, I add my Micro stuff here but as a catch all but I wouldn't add what I have here to micro (even if it were RF).... before long I'll be back splitting my time 50/50 between my RM and RF port.... I had a lot of work to do to catch in terms of specific micro material but that's getting there now.

I find I do more "Photography" when shooting RM and more studio/Photoshopping for Micro.... I like both but I feel a photography phase coming on before too long :-)

I know!  its all about time! time vs revenue, input vs output.  I have approx, a total of,  27000 RM images, from scanned 4x5 inch plus small-format dslr images, its taken me, 24 years to built up. Started way back with Tony-Stone and The-Image-Bank. One is not getting younger, running out of time, hehe!  time for a body and mind re-vamp!

btw. youre doing well, brilliant commercial portfolio.

John is rite!  one must find the best outlet,  i believe in horses for courses, in my 5 horse race i have to say that the horse called Alamy is nearly always at the tail,  however when Alamy has a win the payment is usually not too bad,  so it is worth keeping Alamy in the race.

Paul.

Archived