Infinity, but not beyond

I ran into a problem key wording the Infinity bridge on Teesside, the system would not save the words following Infinity.

This is what member services had to say.

"We have checked this with our technical team and when you use the word Infinity with a capital ‘I’ our database identifies this as a code and so any keywords after infinity will not be saved. As a workaround you can avoid the capital “I” and use ‘infinity’ instead."

Just as well, thought I was cracking up  :)

Interesting.  It would be nice to know what DB system they are using.  I just had a very quick play with some other 'reserved words' from various scripts/languages (ECMA[JavaScript]/SQL/ActionScript) and couldn't replicate the issue with any other words.  Surely the entries that are placed in these boxes should not be subject to any code processing AT ALL and therefore not subject to any restrictions?

EDIT: Can't be a database thing, I'm sure.  More likely to do with the script transferring the info to the database.  Gotta be JS/ActionScript?

Anyhow, glad you got it sorted!

Interesting.  It would be nice to know what DB system they are using.  I just had a very quick play with some other 'reserved words' from various scripts/languages (ECMA[JavaScript]/SQL/ActionScript) and couldn't replicate the issue with any other words.  Surely the entries that are placed in these boxes should not be subject to any code processing AT ALL and therefore not subject to any restrictions?

EDIT: Can't be a database thing, I'm sure.  More likely to do with the script transferring the info to the database.  Gotta be JS/ActionScript?

Anyhow, glad you got it sorted!

I think that I have read somewhere long ago that they are using SQL-Server. In my opinion also it is unlikely to be due to the database, it is probably related to some of the other layers between the database and the website. Nevertheless it shouldn't really be a problem, each computer language has reserved keywords and means to circumvent / escape them, at least regarding to processing user input!n I don't agree that the strings entered into these boxes should not be subject to any code processing at all. You certainly have to validate it in some way to enforce certain rules like maximum length, maybe exclude characters which wouldn't make sense and last but not least to safeguard against sql-injection attacks.

Whatever the reason behind it, it would be useful to have a published list of reserved keywords.

Archived