50 million images

Phil Robinson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have only been submitting to Alamy since the end of January, although I have got work on Alamy through other libraries, to be honest, Alamy are not my main library, as I am with Getty, and ImageSource/Cultura as well. I am very happy about the average sale amount through Alamy, which is pretty good, where as with the other libraries I am getting some sales of 2p or 3p which to be honest is a joke, on the other hand I am selling 15-20 time the volume of images, with just over half the amount submitted, and at the end of the day, making 8 times the amount. I just wonder with 50 million images, how on earth my images are ever going to be found on Alamy, maybe as photographers we should be a lot more ruthless with our editing, and look at our images which have been on the site for years without selling, and maybe delete them! this would benefit us all if the buyers could find the good images a lot quicker, after all there are not many people who have the time to wade through 80 - 800 pages of thumbnails looking for the picture they want, my guess is that they will either buy, or give up after the first few pages. I guess we could all help as well by not using too many obscure keywords

I have only been submitting to Alamy since the end of January, although I have got work on Alamy through other libraries, to be honest, Alamy are not my main library, as I am with Getty, and ImageSource/Cultura as well. I am very happy about the average sale amount through Alamy, which is pretty good, where as with the other libraries I am getting some sales of 2p or 3p which to be honest is a joke, on the other hand I am selling 15-20 time the volume of images, with just over half the amount submitted, and at the end of the day, making 8 times the amount. I just wonder with 50 million images, how on earth my images are ever going to be found on Alamy, maybe as photographers we should be a lot more ruthless with our editing, and look at our images which have been on the site for years without selling, and maybe delete them! this would benefit us all if the buyers could find the good images a lot quicker, after all there are not many people who have the time to wade through 80 - 800 pages of thumbnails looking for the picture they want, my guess is that they will either buy, or give up after the first few pages. I guess we could all help as well by not using too many obscure keywords

True, there are a lot of images to wade through to find what you want.

However, if you did a search for pictures of the Eiffel Tower on a summer's day without any people you get:

Eiffel Tower                               29,950 images      250 pages

Eiffel Tower summer                 2,225 images        19 pages

Eiffel Tower summer nobody    158 images           2 pages

For a picture researcher, or even just a member of the public, I would suggest looking at 158 images wouldn't take too long and even 2,225 wouldn't either, being as that is their job to look at and find photographs.

If you just searched for car, you would get 900,907 images and have to look through 7,508 pages! But most people would have a certain make or age of car and could lessen the numbers significantly be being more specific in what they searched for.

John.

Archived