Alamy image upload

It seems for me at least that the image upload has been broken for months. I have tried it on OSX and Linux in various browsers and a simple upload task fails everytime.

A recent case was three simple images apparently fail to upload, each one is re-tried multiple times resulting in a message saying that the entire process failed. Looking in the track your submissions area I see that there are 16 images awaiting quality control. This cannot be right.

Can you please get this tool updated, just revert to a simple HTML upload and ditch the flash!

Sorry to hear of your problem, I think if other contributors had such problems we would have had a great deal of discussion about it - and we have not..

Several years ago I used to sometimes get one image in a batch improperly processed and that batch would then take 7-10 days to clear.

That has not happened to me for a long time, and I completed my 627th uload yesterday.  

I use Windows rather than OSX or Linux, but many contributors use OSX with no trouble.  How fast and reliable is your Broadband connection?  Maybe there is a problem there...

Sounds like you need to update your Java. The upload is an applet AFAIK. (edit - tech details say Flash 10 so ignore previous if it's starting an upload).

Can you please get this tool updated, just revert to a simple HTML upload and ditch the flash!

Your Flash may be the culprit if uploading does not work. Check your version here.

If your images come up as failed or partially failed in the Track submissions list, one of the places to look, is the save or save as jepg box of Photoshop and make sure that JPEG Options are set to Baseline ("Standard"). Some Photoshop automated tasks have the annoying habit of not only changing this setting for the task, but keeping that setting for all images afterwards. Until you set it back manually.

Some images slip through the uploading process though, even set to Baseline Optimized or Progressive. Usually the first and/or last one of the batch. Which may also lead you to believe it's the uploading that's failed.

It's well documented on this and the former Forum that partially failed uploads can sit in the uploading system's pipeline as bone in it's throat.

Other things to try: upload one file at a time only; use another machine on your own provider; use another provider; or as a test change your uploading location (local library; a friend; Starbucks).

I agree with your feeling about Flash: it just makes things look good.

wim

Archived