File Size problem

Hi,  I have pics on Alamy from awhile ago and had no problem with file sizes, but am finding that when  in Photoshop a 54 MB size file when saved as a Jpeg is going down to 7MB  saving as I usually do at 12 large file what is happening.  I have checked my settings over and over again but do not know what to do.  Can anybody help.  I be it's something extremely simple.  Thank you Regards Lynda

Because jpegs are compressed files, they can vary greatly in size depending on the detail in your RAW image. If there is a lot of sky it will be smaller than if a picture of a very detailed subject. Mine usually vary from 7-15mb when uploading. The 54mb of your RAW image is not compressed like a jpeg and that is what has to be at least 24mb for Alamy, not the jpeg that you upload.

So don't worry about the jpeg size, it has nothing to do with photo requirements. As long as the RAW or TIFF is 24MB or larger, you are fine.

If you are cropping an image, and want to be sure it makes the cut, look at the bottom left of your bar in PS.  There will be two numbers separated by a backslash. When you start and haven't cropped anything, it should say 54mb/54mb (if that is the size your camera takes).  When you crop the photo the first number will change to let you know the new size of the image cropped, while the second number will stay the same. So as long as that first number is 24 or higher, you are set to go.

Jill

So don't worry about the jpeg size, it has nothing to do with photo requirements. As long as the RAW or TIFF is 24MB or larger, you are fine.

If you are cropping an image, and want to be sure it makes the cut, look at the bottom left of your bar in PS.  There will be two numbers separated by a backslash. When you start and haven't cropped anything, it should say 54mb/54mb (if that is the size your camera takes).  When you crop the photo the first number will change to let you know the new size of the image cropped, while the second number will stay the same. So as long as that first number is 24 or higher, you are set to go.

Jill

It's worth noting that the above numbers apply when working in 8 bit mode.

Archived